• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need more power

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could buy a Dodge, or stick with a company that didn't require a bailout or two, and go with the Ford!

Bump up to the F-250 man. Depending on the year of the truck, and what kind of trailer your pulling, I'd personally stay with the 6.0 V8, as opposed to a diesel. The Power Stroke diesel is a BEAST, but the maintenance can be quite costly.

That said, my 2007 F-150 with the 5.4 (300 hp/ 365 lb tq), had a towing capacity rating of like 9,800 pounds. Of course it also had the tow package.

Last edited:
Are you using a equalizer hitch? The F150 should be fine with a pop-up. I pull my 30 ft. camper approx 9500-11000 lbs. With my 2000 F250 7.3L. The equalizer hitch makes all the difference in the world.

Look a just a good servicing and tune up make sure truck is actually running tip top, your truck should pull popup without you even realizing its there.

The 4.6 should pull that no problem, as others have said. 98 might have a performance chip or module for the computer available, with varying degrees of horespower/torque increase.

The rear axle drive ratio might be too high for towing on that truck, you should check and see what it is.

Thanks for all the ideas, going to do some checking with these ideas. After I see how this election goes, I'm probably going to look for a f-250.

You also might want to check what gears you are running in the rear end. My 5.3l Avalanche pulled a 1969 Chevelle, Uhaul auto transport and extra parts from Atlanta to Cleveland Ohio with no problem. A pop-up shouldn't be an issue for your f150. I think something is a miss. Do a full tune up first.

How heavy is the camper if under #5000 there shouldn't be a problem.Have the truck checked out if it is ok and it is a heavy camper maybe the best thing is a new ring and pinion gear maybe 3:55 or 3:73 that will pep it up.

Better think about how much you will be towing before you buy a 250/2500. Mileage is going to break you and it'll cost more to insure. If you are really concerned with towing power, try a truck accessory shop. Most of them can install a one time trial power chip which is the best route to go. For $200-$250 you can add 15-30 hp. If that ain't enough you might then add the cold air intake. But whatever you do make sure it has multiple settings.

Depending on the mileage of the truck you would need to do a full tune up including all filters. Possibly fuel injectors if the mileage is real high. Like others have said, it should pull it with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom