• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

NEED SOME 9mm Ammo Advice - Low Recoil

Ok here... My wife has a Glock 43 and she is a smaller woman, she feels that the gun is too snappy for her to feel comfortable for CC. I pulled out my Walther PP99 (the pistol in 40) to show her what a full size would look, and feel like (She was looking at the Canik Elite S for CC) and she realized that won't cut the "C" in conceal... SO, back we are for now with the 43...

My question is this; is there a range ammo with less recoil for her to practice with? How about a SD ammo? We usually use Federal big bucket stuff at the range and Hornady CD 115gr for protection.

I would eventually like her to get the Canik, because I don't have one and it is my job to test fire all handguns at least 2 times a month for maintenance reasons... :thumb:

Recommendations?????

I've never tried it in 9mm, but Federal makes Hydra Shok in low recoil:
https://www.federalpremium.com/ammu...rsonal-defense-hydra-shok-low-recoil/pd9hs5-h

147gr ammo, as said above. 147 gr Lawman is great practice ammo, and loaded to mimic the 147gr Gold Dot.
I plink with 147 gr Lawman and carry 147gr Winchester Bonded Ranger LE.

I just went through this exercise last weekend. My "lady friend" shoots 9 mm without complaint and loves my G42 in .380. I decided to try Hornady low recoil Critical defense loads in 9mm just to see if she could shoot it even better. She could not fire more than 1 round before my P228 and my Shield would stovepipe the fired case. I thought the ammo was at fault and simply did not have enough recoil to clear the spent case and load the next round. I then decided to try them myself since neither pistol has ever had an issue. I was able to fire several full magazines through each pistol with not one failure. The issue was that she just does not have enough resistance in her hands and wrist to allow the slides to cycle. Something to think about when looking at the lower recoil loads and a semi auto pistol and females. I shot all of mine up and will not be buying her any more.

You are pretty much trying to find something that doesn't exist: factory soft shooting 9mm.

These are recoil operated guns, they have to have a certain amount of recoil energy, else they will not be reliable, and may not even function.

You can handload some low recoil, low powered rounds, but you will have to respring the gun, and may have to modify it somewhat to get it to run reliably.

The recoil spring and the hammer spring both affect operation wrt slide operation, sear engagement may need to be increased if you go too light onb the springs, else you have a full auto.

If the shooter can't tolerate factory 9mm (almost magnum level blast), revolvers are always a good choice. 38sp runs at half the chamber pressure of 9mm, this means less blast, and they do just fine when downloaded to lower energy levels that give very mild recoil. Factory target loads are mild, and no handloading needed.

Back
Top Bottom