• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

NEED SOME 9mm Ammo Advice - Low Recoil

The question was about the Glock 43 in 9 mm chambering, correct ?

Then I say that if 115 grn. standard pressure ball ammo is too much recoil, start reloading! Use 85-grain .355" bullets that were made for the the 380 ACP, but load them in the 9 mm cases .

Give them a powder charge equivalent to a 380 or maybe just a little higher. Perhaps you might need to buy a second recoil spring for that Glock pistol and clip a couple coils off of it to accommodate the lower pressured ammo .

That is not going to happen. We are keeping the 43. I have purchased 6 380s including (2) 42's and they were rejected. A well placed 9mm beats the heck out of any 380...

Not "the heck out of". All handgun rounds are marginally effective, the .380 just more so.

As others have pointed out, you can download 9mm, but to get any real reduction in recoil, you'll need to change the springs-- and then you'll potentially damage the gun if you do shoot factory ammo. We do this all the time with competition guns, to get an edge when trying to shoot super quickly. But it's not a solution for you.

Never mind that there's probably no market for lighter Glock 43 springs, so they probably don't exist.

You're up against basic physics. Light gun, heavy recoil. That's just reality. Keltec P3AT (the .380)? 7 oz empty. Kicks like a little demon. Smith Airweight .38? No thanks. Kicks like a mule. Ruger SP101 shooting .38s? Sweet as sugar. But it weighs a heck of a lot more than the Smith Airweight.

Get her a heavier gun, or a lighter caliber. Or practice, practice, practice with a bigger/heavier gun.

I used to couldn't shoot accurately with a pocket 9 either. But I can now. There is no simple path to that status other than practice practice practice. And preferable with something else-- you wannna shoot a .22 like a champ? Practice with a 9mm. You want to be aces with a 9mm? Practice with a .45. Etc.

Handguns, especially light small ones, are the hardest ones to shoot, Hollywood be damned.

After we got the wife that Kahr I decided I wanted a Kahr for myself... Only I prefer steel to polymer framed firearms. SO I traded off a revolver I had for a Kahr K9. The first time the wife touched it she said she knew which Kahr she was going to carry. SO I found another K9. That turned out to be a bit of a mistake as she has a hard time racking the slide. Not that long after I spotted a SP101 on sale at a local shop and grabbed it. First trip to the range I had the wife try it with different ammo, the only round she said she didn't want to touch again was a rather hot loaded 180 grain hardcast load. Time we got home good she was asking if she could have her own SP101.

Gotta agree-- a STEEL framed .38/.357 shooting .38 wadcutters solves several problems. Hand/arm strength for racking the slide becomes a non-issue, and the recoil is completely tame. Love the SP101 myself, though not with full-house loads. Ouch. Great with .38 +Ps though.

Back
Top Bottom