• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

NEED SOME 9mm Ammo Advice - Low Recoil

I also consider the Glock 43 to be a snappy shooter... compared to other similarly sized 9mm guns. The Walther PPS comes to mind as being a much softer shooting gun.

This is the biggest problem with women and firearms. They see small and think it'll be all cute and cuddly... when what they really need is the biggest gun they can wrap their hands around. Unless they plan to carry on-body... which very few women will do. They generally won't dress around a gun like a man will.

Sell/trade the Glock 43. Any ammo that tames the recoil will be absolute garbage in the gun basllistically.

I'd rather see someone carry a Glock 42 with some ammo that won't under-penetrate than a Glock 43 - that's exactly what we've done im my house... both Glock 43's that we had are sold... and now we have a Glock 26L and 42 as the his/hers tiny carry guns.

I just went through this exercise last weekend. My "lady friend" shoots 9 mm without complaint and loves my G42 in .380. I decided to try Hornady low recoil Critical defense loads in 9mm just to see if she could shoot it even better. She could not fire more than 1 round before my P228 and my Shield would stovepipe the fired case. I thought the ammo was at fault and simply did not have enough recoil to clear the spent case and load the next round. I then decided to try them myself since neither pistol has ever had an issue. I was able to fire several full magazines through each pistol with not one failure. The issue was that she just does not have enough resistance in her hands and wrist to allow the slides to cycle. Something to think about when looking at the lower recoil loads and a semi auto pistol and females. I shot all of mine up and will not be buying her any more.

Not so long ago I had the same sort of issue with the wife and her Kahr CW9. She now carries a Ruger SP101 357 mag instead, never had a stove pipe or failure to feed or eject with it.

Mass is your friend. 9mm out of a 16 oz pistol ain't gonna agree w alot of ladies.

After we got the wife that Kahr I decided I wanted a Kahr for myself... Only I prefer steel to polymer framed firearms. SO I traded off a revolver I had for a Kahr K9. The first time the wife touched it she said she knew which Kahr she was going to carry. SO I found another K9. That turned out to be a bit of a mistake as she has a hard time racking the slide. Not that long after I spotted a SP101 on sale at a local shop and grabbed it. First trip to the range I had the wife try it with different ammo, the only round she said she didn't want to touch again was a rather hot loaded 180 grain hardcast load. Time we got home good she was asking if she could have her own SP101.

Hook up with someone that reloads in you area. Try running a 124 fmj, they can adjust the powder charge and powder type to work in your pistol with a light load.
Save your brass, purchase the components and help him reload some for you. Purchase a little extra for him/her and I am sure they will help you.
When your wife carries load with sd ammo, when adrenaline kicks in she will never know, and won't feel the kick back. If she likes the 43 stick with it.
My wife carries a 239 in the most desirable 40, I load light when she practices and load with sd when she carries.

Back
Top Bottom