• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need some help (please)

I have sent my torque wrenches to Dynamic Instruments(?) in Florida, they calibrate quality tools.
I sent them 3 Snap-On wrenches and a Fluke 88 meter (all at the same time) and they do an awesome job for a very resonable price.
They send them back with certificates and calbration sheets.

I can probably get the info for them out of my tool box if you want it. I think it was about $25-$30 per torque wrench and like $40 for the Fluke. They tested all leads and accessories too. Fast turn around, quality packaging for return shipping, etc.,

Yeah man if you wouldn’t mind post up their info, others may want it as well.

From your wording above, it sounds as if you have used the torque wrench in the past to remove previously torqued components. One absolute no-no in most manufacturing and assembly shops, especially when dealing with calibrated torque wrenches, is to NEVER use the torque wrench for removal due to potential damage to the tool, resulting in significant errors to the indicated vs. applied torque. This recommendation, just like always returning the torque wrench to its un-torqued (no tension) setting for long term storage, are just two of many recommendations for the proper use of torque wrenches.

This is awesome information. I didn’t know any of this. I used the torque wrench to find out “untorque” specs all the time. I am not the most handy of people though.

This is awesome information. I didn’t know any of this. I used the torque wrench to find out “untorque” specs all the time. I am not the most handy of people though.

The tool crib manager took care of cert details, I just knew it was my butt if I got caught using an unapproved tool on a critical piece.

Amnd reaching way back, I did have to sit through training on how weights and measures equipment all has to have traceable lineage to the national standard. When you measure exactly one inch, how long is that, and how can you prove it?

Most of what we do doesn't require this level of precision, but some things do. Even scales and gas pumps used in commerce have to be inspected and certified regularly.

If you are confident with your abilities, you can grind new flats on what's left and back it off, cut it off with a cutoff wheel, or get a nut buster and cut it off. It may or may not be entirely the torque wrench. I had issues with a MRO mounting screws rounding out with a new snap-on bit before reaching the recommended torque. Call trijicon and was told they had some heat treatment issues on the screws.

If you are confident with your abilities, you can grind new flats on what's left and back it off, cut it off with a cutoff wheel, or get a nut buster and cut it off. It may or may not be entirely the torque wrench. I had issues with a MRO mounting screws rounding out with a new snap-on bit before reaching the recommended torque. Call trijicon and was told they had some heat treatment issues on the screws.

Honestly thats my problem. I am not confident with my abilities. It took me ages before I attempted to even put a muzzle brake on. Once I got comfortable with it I have done quite a few times since then. Its awesome being able to do it myself. I converted over from ASR to the key-mo so I changed a good number of them. Never had any problems before.

First time for everything.

Back
Top Bottom