• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

NEED SOME INPUT FROM YOU BOLT ACTION BOYS

U didn’t say but I assume u want a deer rifle. I’d say get the Ruger American in 308 and put a Vortex scope on it and a nice sling. Then call it good. Or find yourself a nice Browning A Bolt II. It’s kinda custom already. Floated barrel. Recessed crown. Adjustable trigger. And if u want a muzzle brake or threaded barrel get the BOSS. Model. I’ve tuned them to MOA with the cheapest ammo you could put thru it……. Good luck. The search is half the fun.

Put a bottom metal in this one and you are GTG.

I didn't read the whole thread. It's fascinating to me people will drop $10k+ on accumulating ARs kitted out to their taste and then, when it comes to getting a bolt action rifle for some basic purpose such as deer hunting, their budget goes to Walmart open and returned discount status.

I'm not talking about people who just can't afford to spend more. And there are good budget options. But when someone has a small fortune in the 25 ARs they've "built" I don't understand the reticence to drop some money on a decent bolt gun and pretty good glass. If I had it to start all over again, I would buy a Tikka T3X in whatever chambering of your choice and throw a Swarovski Z3 on it. There are equally good alternatives, but that's been my favorite outfit personally.

I didn't read the whole thread. It's fascinating to me people will drop $10k+ on accumulating ARs kitted out to their taste and then, when it comes to getting a bolt action rifle for some basic purpose such as deer hunting, their budget goes to Walmart open and returned discount status.

I'm not talking about people who just can't afford to spend more. And there are good budget options. But when someone has a small fortune in the 25 ARs they've "built" I don't understand the reticence to drop some money on a decent bolt gun and pretty good glass. If I had it to start all over again, I would buy a Tikka T3X in whatever chambering of your choice and throw a Swarovski Z3 on it. There are equally good alternatives, but that's been my favorite outfit personally.
I don't want to start out with the cheapest platform. Hence the reason why I ask in the initial post are they even worth the metal that's in them. I originally thought 600 to 700 would make a decent start but I am coming to realize that might not be the case. Anything mechanical fascinates me and I want to learn and build on it. I am going raise my initial starting point and buy a older well kept rifle that could benefit from upgrades. I can find something. This is more about learning and getting into bolt guns to expand on what I have already learned about guns.

Savage is the easiest DIY action and lots of industry support for barrels, chassis, stocks. Built three - accurate but action is clunky. Tikka is next easiest (getting OEM barrel off a hassle usually) with lots of support. With inflation, supply chain BS, all the actions are going up in price.

Back
Top Bottom