• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NEED SOME INPUT FROM YOU BOLT ACTION BOYS

Yes, start with that one. Replace those see thru rings and boom your done.
Already looked at those today. Saw some nice Leopold rings that aren't see through for a more classic look. I haven't changed it yet because those are what my father put on there. I hardly ever shoot it. It's a freaking pile driver on recoil. I would like to get a decent recoil pad. A nice fit job that looks factory. I am getting to old to shoot a freaking jack hammer.

Have several favorites. Love a Win model 70 but last last target rifle built I ordered it new. Savage 110 Long Range Hunter… They don’t make them anymore. Savage relaunched the model 110 line with several “Hunter” options. I’ve never before been a savage fan but love the model 110 long range Hunter. New msrp was $1000 picked one up for $800 at a lgs. When they went out of production BPS & Cabela’s had them on clearance for $550-600. You can occasional find a used one for the $500-600 range but the unfired ones are still bringing around the old msrp price. I’ve got a short action & long action. The model 111 long range Hunter is the same barrel & action but a bit different stock. The first has adj LOP & cheek comb. The latter only has adj cheek comb I believe. Unfortunately, both are synthetic stocks but I really like the 110 LRH stock.
Stock trigger doesn’t need to be replaced. I’ve never owned an Axis but I don’t think the accutrigger in the axis is the same quality as the accutrigger in the 110LRH. Never needed to switch it out.

It's also a shooter plus some. Damn thing is accurate as any gun I have shot. My friend bought a 1,200 hundred dollar Sendero with a monger expensive scope. This will shoot circles around that gun regardless of ammo.

Already looked at those today. Saw some nice Leopold rings that aren't see through for a more classic look. I haven't changed it yet because those are what my father put on there. I hardly ever shoot it. It's a freaking pile driver on recoil. I would like to get a decent recoil pad. A nice fit job that looks factory. I am getting to old to shoot a freaking jack hammer.
I get. I won’t change things handed down from my dad either. Unless it is to preserve it. Congrats on having that heirloom.

I bought a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 creedmoor off a guy who had put it in a Bell and Carlson stock and added a timney trigger. All together he paid roughly a grand for it, I paid $750. $1000 will buy you a Bergara B-14 HMR 6.5 Creedmoor, I’d go that route. If you just want a rifle to upgrade and tinker with I will say the Ruger Americans have great barrels. I get good groups out of mine, it’s a hunting rifle though. First picture is checking zero at 100yds before deer season, second is confirming it, then it goes hunting. I’m sure if I took my time to get the barrel to the same temp and practiced bench shooting more it’d do better but I don’t because where I hunt 150yd shot is rare. I have no trouble taking any shot I want when I have the opportunity on a deer.

Attachments

• DDC05C4E-2A22-4527-AB0A-0671853C0FDD.png
    DDC05C4E-2A22-4527-AB0A-0671853C0FDD.png
    391 KB · Views: 14
  • E58CA6BB-66FA-40F1-952F-FDEB383C2E0E.png
    E58CA6BB-66FA-40F1-952F-FDEB383C2E0E.png
    1,010.2 KB · Views: 15
I bought a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 creedmoor off a guy who had put it in a Bell and Carlson stock and added a timney trigger. All together he paid roughly a grand for it, I paid $750. $1000 will buy you a Bergara B-14 HMR 6.5 Creedmoor, I’d go that route. If you just want a rifle to upgrade and tinker with I will say the Ruger Americans have great barrels. I get good groups out of mine, it’s a hunting rifle though. First picture is checking zero at 100yds before deer season, second is confirming it, then it goes hunting. I’m sure if I took my time to get the barrel to the same temp and practiced bench shooting more it’d do better but I don’t because where I hunt 150yd shot is rare. I have no trouble taking any shot I want when I have the opportunity on a deer.
That's pretty tight!

Here's another option if you aren't in a hurry. You know you'll end up here anyway. :) I did it and it took me a while to get my full build done (just finishing, looking for a different trigger). I bought a barreled action on snipers hide and built from there. there are some deals out there on barreled actions and all the Remington 700 patterned parts.

This should be a very nice action, ARC makes great actions and this is their latest (I have the Nucleus). Not sure when it will be available, but at the preorder price you can start to get other bits and pieces. Should be a few good smiths making profit barrels for them (and you can install it yourself) soon. I know Patriot Valley is making them.

Pick up a used remington 700 chassis (MDT, KRG, or MPA if you want a chassis, or a Manners stock), trigger (Timmy, Trigger Tech, BixnAndy), rings (the ARC rings are some of the best on the market), optics and you are set. I bought pieces as I could afford them but figured I was going to want higher end stuff, so found deals here and there and now have a very nice long range stick to play with.

Reactions: GFB
Back
Top Bottom