• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

neighbors drive on my land

PS: my home's driveway runs very deeply through my neighbors property before turning back and coming onto my own property just before it reaches my house and garage.
This was not an accident-- it was built that way at a time when both of these properties were owned by close relatives (cousins I believe, or maybe uncle and niece.) The lay of the land favors this because one side of the property is just naturally better suited for a road or driveway than the middle or other side.

Anyhow, hundreds of tons of dirt would have to be dumped, compacted, and then graveled to relocate my driveway.

And I'd need a couple of culverts put in to allow water drainage.

I don't wanna do all that if I doan hafta.

I once lived next to a cotton field. One day the man who owned the field stopped at my house and was telling him that a portion of that cotton field was on my land. I laughed and told him I didnt mind that was less I have to mow. The farmer chuckled and said "I thought you might see it that way the back half of your shop is on my land". Of course I had known Mr Walter for years and we never had issue. I did mention it to the new buyer and I think they did a swap.

I would either enjoy use of the gravel drive or work something out with him. It may be less for you to mow. If the neighbor is otherwise a turd then I guess you should get an attorney.
Did you mean "get an atturdey"?

PS: my home's driveway runs very deeply through my neighbors property before turning back and coming onto my own property just before it reaches my house and garage.
This was not an accident-- it was built that way at a time when both of these properties were owned by close relatives (cousins I believe, or maybe uncle and niece.) The lay of the land favors this because one side of the property is just naturally better suited for a road or driveway than the middle or other side.

Anyhow, hundreds of tons of dirt would have to be dumped, compacted, and then graveled to relocate my driveway.

And I'd need a couple of culverts put in to allow water drainage.

I don't wanna do all that if I doan hafta.
In 1994 a friend in NC owned about 30 acres of property smack in the middle of three developments of $450,000+ homes (a seemingly astronomical amount of money at that time). His driveway crossed a lot owned by a neighbor close to his property and that neighbor decided he didn't want my friend using the entrance to his driveway any longer. My friend tried to reason with the asshole to no avail.

He calls me one day and says, "What are you doing this weekend? Come on up and spend it with us, we're dynamiting a new driveway." (Blowing trees up and out of the ground by the root ball) That was a hella lot of fun. The neighbor of course freaks out, sheriff comes, etc., but we weren't doing anything illegal. The dick wished he'd left well enough alone because now he had another driveway on the left side if his property CLOSER to his own home and where my buddy HAD been granted an easement for ingress/egress by another neighbor. LOL.

We still haven't learned just how much property is affected by this driveway dilemma. Seeing as it is bothersome to the owner a real accurate estimate of the amount of land that is encroached upon would be a determining factor in coarse of action taken.

This. I saw a show on this same topic. There was an easement to state land that ran right through the edge of his land. He tried fencing it, locking the gates and all kinds of stuff. People would just come through and cut the locks. Well it ended up in a gun fight and a gentleman that lived across from this man with the easement on his property was killed. The owner of the land didn't go to jail but was ordered to sell his land, give up his firearm rights and never return to that area. The attraction was big mountain range that could only be accessed by this easement running through this gentleman's property. Well he got it all steamed up about it and ended up killing the guy and lost everything. So let this be something to reflect on if you decide to get too aggressive about the man's driveway. If it's only overlapping your property by tiny bit I really wouldn't worry about it. The neighborly and Christian thing to do would to be let the man go on about his business and just build your fence around that particular easement there. It's not a life or death situation if it's just up against the edge of your property. For god sakes don't get crazy about it it and become an obsession driving you insane. Like one of the members posted talk to your lawyer to see if it is an access easement that was granted by the county. If that's the case there's really not much you can do. If it was a few acres of land you're losing it out on due to the situation it might be a little more important but if it's just a short piece of Drive I really wouldn't worry about it. Something like this can drive you to do something that you'll regret for the rest of your life. It also could have been written up in the sale of the property that the next owner allow the neighbor access across that land so it has to be researched before you can really make it educated decision.
Greg… Your stories always hold a degree of morbid fascination…

Kinda like being the witness first hand to a head on collision…

This can end up in a bad situation. My mom's, sisters,ñ husband has to cross a small portion of his father's land to get to his house. Well later on down the line this became a serious issue. One day coming home from work his dad popped out from behind a tree and unloaded both barrels of buckshot in his son's face. This was after he told my aunts husband, his son not to drive across his property again. That was the only way to access his property. Now friends I am not making this up. I can supply phone contacts to verify this neanderthal behavior.

Now after his son was all healed he heard his father up at his house raising hell from being drunk I am guessing on the drunk part. Anyway to even the score he put a 12 gauge slug in his dad's back.

Hill billies and moonshine! It will get you everytime!

Looking for advice. if dealt with it before, great.
Survey showed that part of the neighbor's driveway is on my land. Its gravel.
Asked neighbor what's the plan. He wants to buy that part, I'm not selling.

What legally should I do?
How have you handle this?
Hello! How much land is affected by this driveway?

Show dominance and defecate and/or urinate on said property lines....

If that don't work then install gasoline sprinklers. You can get a garage door clicker and program it to a "certain device" to create spark. For invasion deterrence purposes of course.
Honey will get you farther than vinegar will everytime. If maybe a bottle of booze.

Back
Top Bottom