• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New Savage Stealth 10BA, move over again Ruger

BHJ

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
37   0
Reaction score
13cgunreviews.com_wp_content_uploads_2016_01_savage_10_and_110_wm.jpg

I don't know how this slipped by me but they did.
As some of you know I'm a Rabid Savageaholic and really like their innovation and the way it keeps changing the game and putting once custom only options into the hands of consumers straight from the factory.
Apparently not to be outdone by Rugers precision rifle (congratulations to Ruger for jumping in the game)
Savage has decided to cut some weight from, and update the BA series of law enforcement rifles with the introduction of the new (short action .308 Win and 6.5 Creed) Model 10BA Stealth and (long action 300win mag and .338 lapua)110 BA Stealth rifles. http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/tag/110-ba-stealth/
They have also released a model Savage 10 FCP/SVS-A3 from Ashbury precision ordinance with a folding chassis. http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...dular-tactical-chassis-for-savage-10-and-110/

https://www.galleryofguns.com/genie...=All&type=All&cal=All&fin=&sit=&zipcode=66025

It sounds like they have built a really nice rig while adding features and cutting costs and weight from the original BA rifles.
(Thanks Ruger, That's what competition does to the marketplace but now you gotta catch up again :) )
The new BA stealth rifles feature,
A factory blueprinted action,
A Drake industries monolithic chassis, https://www.drakeassociates.us/savage-history/
AR compatible hand grip,
Fab defense GL shock 6 position butt stock with adjustable cheek piece,
R25 compatible mags (P mags) short action/
An EGW picatinny rail,
A M LOK fore end,
Either a 20" or 24" fluted 5R rifled threaded 5/8x24 barrel with thread protector ( plus all the already available premium aftermarket barrels in short action calibers of your choice :) )
Of course the accutrigger and oversized bolt handle as well as the oversized tang safety we have come to expect from Savage

Savage says the MSRP is $1200-1600 depending on caliber and configuration.
I've seen a few online and it looks like street price on the short actions is going to be around $1000 to $1100
I saw them out of stock for as low as $950 and I'm currently watching a couple up for absolute auction to see what they sell for.

Dammitman looks like Savage has hit another one out of the park.
A similar Savage/Drake combination recently took first place for National Guard Team and 8th place overall at the 2015 US Army International Sniper Competition.
SavageStealth2.png

Competitors:
  • SSG Cavalier (B Co)
  • SSG Jimenez (A Co)
  • At the awards ceremony at the end of the competition is was announced that the US Army NG WTC, using the Savage Stalker rifle system achieved the following outstanding and significant results:
  • Top National Guard Team
  • 2nd Place for NON-Special Operations/SOF team- Conventional Units
  • 8th Place Overall Ranking for competition (The majority of the competition was from Special Operations Forces / SOF Units)
I'm sure as more and more of these start showing up in the feild we'll be able to get a much better look at them and at their capability.​

Not sure Ruger needs to catch up on this. This is a great looking, bang for the buck rifle, but Rugers RPR is as solid, and 1 ups Savage with the ability to swap rails and accept multiple magazine types.

That is a great option for someone wanting a $1,000 price range long range rifle though.

Guaranteed to shoot circles around, er, I mean, INSIDE the Ruger's groups. No way I would pick a RPR over this if the prices were anywhere close.

Another good option out there for the shooter looking at a sub 1000 rifle. But looking at the features between this and the RPR, the RPR has more features like a better chassis design (savage rail it to short IMO) and the three lug bolt (have seen several savage extractors fail at the wrong time) . I have seen at least one RPR at every PRS match this year and they performed well. A lot of the Major rifle companies are coming into this market of sub 1200 precisions rifles, can't wait to see what comes out next year.

Maybe a better looking chassis in the RPR but I don't know about better. All the ones I've shot and handled felt cheap to me including that safety that rattles around like a toy. Savage is known for accuracy in their precision guns, Ruger, well they aren't. If looks are your thing, the RPR is certainly the winner. When it comes to punching paper I highly doubt the RPR will outshoot this offering from Savage.

With all this being said the price point chassis rifle to own will be out early this fall and it's not from either of these manufacturers. I would hold off a couple months if you are in the market.

I look at function. In real world scenarios most shots aren't shot from the prone, if you look at the distance between the magwell and the bipod you can see there is hardly any room for proper positional use. The Rugers held their own during the matches.

Back
Top Bottom