• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New scattergun: PSA 570

I’ll admit, since it’s PSA, I’m worried that they took the cheapest parts of each design to keep the cost as low as possible.

As someone who rebuilds Remington 870’s regularly, I’m not sure how much more “modular” you can get. The only thing that isn’t a simple swap or plug n’ play is if you’re wanting to go to a shorter (less than 4 rounds) mag tube, to do an SBS under 12”. Even then, it’s not that difficult with simple tools.
Not to highjack the thread but I have to ask, What is it that you dislike about the 500/590s in design/overall construction?

I notice you’ve been outspoken about your preference to Remington over Mossberg shotguns for serious use in previous threads. Being that Newer “Remington” 870s are not near the same quality/construction as some from the old Police wingmaster guns is the difference between Mossberg and Remington as substantial as it was years ago?

Not to highjack the thread but I have to ask, What is it that you dislike about the 500/590s in design/overall construction?

I notice you’ve been outspoken about your preference to Remington over Mossberg shotguns for serious use in previous threads. Being that Newer “Remington” 870s are not near the same quality/construction as some from the old Police wingmaster guns is the difference between Mossberg and Remington as substantial as it was years ago?

NONE of the Remington 870's were EVER the same quality construction as the Police models. The Police models have always been built on an entirely different assembly line that was kept physically separate from the rest of the facility. They went through an entire different additional list of QC checks. No plastic or MIM'ed parts (trigger guards and extractors), actions were VibraHoned, finish was parkerized instead of matte blue, different/heavier springs in certain areas, etc.

I've always been a huge fan of the Police 870's and Wingmasters. The Wingmasters go through the same QC checks. If they were built as a sporting gun, and not for LE, then they need 2 springs swapped out to be more reliable for the heavier payloads of slugs and buckshot.

I like the 590's and 590A1's. I like the 870 better, but that's a Ford vs Chevy thing. The 590 family is reliable and run well.

The #1 shotgun that I've seen fail over and over again in my shotgun courses is the Mossberg 500. I don't care when they were made, I'm not a fan of the 500 for heavy duty SD use.

I will say, I've never had an 870 fail in my classes, regardless of if it was a Police or civilian model, and when it was made. Only issues I've ever seen were shooter-induced.

I firmly believe that the Remington 870 Police is the best fighting pump shotgun every made.

The Ithaca 37 is a great gun, as well. The design has it's good and bad points when it comes to running it, but it's a rugged and reliable shotgun. I bet my life on one many times, and I'd do so again.

The Winchester 1300 Defender is an underdog that I like a lot. With it's rotary bolt, it's the fastest pumpgun I've ever run. The current version of that gun is the SXP Defender. I haven't run one enough to give a solid enough opinion on it, but if it's as reliable as the 1300 was, then it's a great gun. The discontinued FN P-12 is the same shotgun.

Hopefully all they took from the 500 was the safety! LOL

I’m fine with an aluminum receiver, as well.
And the slide lock/release button location. I’ve had Mossberg’s only for the past 30 years and currently have 5 and thankfully have never had a problem. They’re all used as hunting shotguns except 1 for home defense. They aren’t that bad!😂

Better pic.

Not liking that they took the bolt assembly design from the Mossberg. The 870 is a superior design, but more expensive to machine I’m sure.

Other than the fact that it takes 870 furniture, I’m seeing more of a tweaked Mossberg than a mix of designs. I should have known.

The RDS inlet into the receiver is a great idea, and comes from the Mossberg 940. I’m all for it, as long as it will take more optics than just ones made in China.

All in all, I still wanna get one in my hands.

IMG_3968.jpeg

Better pic.

Not liking that they took the bolt assembly design from the Mossberg. The 870 is a superior design, but more expensive to machine I’m sure.

Other than the fact that it takes 870 furniture, I’m seeing more of a tweaked Mossberg than a mix of designs. I should have known.

The RDS inlet into the receiver is a great idea, and comes from the Mossberg 940. I’m all for it, as long as it will take more optics than just ones made in China.

All in all, I still wanna get one in my hands.

View attachment 6799343
After reviewing some videos from shot show. The optic cut will be compatible with any RMR foot print. One interesting note is the barrel clamp shown in the picture is actually able to move forward and backward along the barrel and Mag tube and is What has the sight bead. Per the PSA rep users will be able to buy different length mag tubes and barrels and build them into the same receiver. Examining the photos it looks like they used a end cap design mag tube like a 590. I particularly like what appears to be a castle nut looking piece holding the mag tube to the receiver.

As far as machining cost, that’s hard to say both designs are made from round stock. The Mossberg has flats. Milled and a second extractor pocket. The 870 stays rounder but I’d bet has tighter tolerances.

I will also add that Steve Fisher from sentinel concepts confirmed his heavy involvement with the development of this gun,
And it shows the moss style optic cut from the 940 was also a project he admitted to being involved with on the primary and secondary podcast. so that’s a good indication of the concept it’ll really come down to PSA execution.

After reviewing some videos from shot show. The optic cut will be compatible with any RMR foot print. One interesting note is the barrel clamp shown in the picture is actually able to move forward and backward along the barrel and Mag tube and is What has the sight bead. Per the PSA rep users will be able to buy different length mag tubes and barrels and build them into the same receiver. Examining the photos it looks like they used a end cap design mag tube like a 590. I particularly like what appears to be a castle nut looking piece holding the mag tube to the receiver.

As far as machining cost, that’s hard to say both designs are made from round stock. The Mossberg has flats. Milled and a second extractor pocket. The 870 stays rounder but I’d bet has tighter tolerances.

I will also add that Steve Fisher from sentinel concepts confirmed his heavy involvement with the development of this gun,
And it shows the moss style optic cut from the 940 was also a project he admitted to being involved with on the primary and secondary podcast. so that’s a good indication of the concept it’ll really come down to PSA execution.

Good info.

Front sights on shotgun builds are an issue with a lot of folks. That's one way of making it easy.

Back
Top Bottom