• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New to black powder

Toothlesswun

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
149   2
Reaction score
I killed my first deer with black powder last Sunday, was a nice doe. Early am I missed a nice buck or so I thought, found out today I killed it as well. The buck ran 250 yards and died, but was in thick brush. Bullet hole is right where I was aiming and just behind the shoulder. Absolutely no blood or hair I was using power belt aero lite bullets .250 grain and 100 grain pellet charge of 777. I have killed many deer with various centerfire rifles without issue.

All that said, to ask has anyone else had this issue with power belts?

Sorry if post is in the wrong place.

I killed my first deer with black powder last Sunday, was a nice doe. Early am I missed a nice buck or so I thought, found out today I killed it as well. The buck ran 250 yards and died, but was in thick brush. Bullet hole is right where I was aiming and just behind the shoulder. Absolutely no blood or hair I was using power belt aero lite bullets .250 grain and 100 grain pellet charge of 777. I have killed many deer with various centerfire rifles without issue.

With 100 grains you won't always get an exit hole. No exit hole, no good blood. I use power belts with 100 grain and haven't had an issue though. High shoulder usually will drop them in their tracks. Got lucky when I hit low and punched the heart out of a big one once.

With 100 grains you won't always get an exit hole. No exit hole, no good blood. I use power belts with 100 grain and haven't had an issue though. High shoulder usually will drop them in their tracks. Got lucky when I hit low and punched the heart out of a big one once.
The doe I killed I punched mid shoulder and bullet exited through rib cage, ran 30 yards heart was shredded and part of lung. No visible blood anywhere. Way too many buzzards to fight off to look for exit on buck.
I feel like the error is on me, but wanted to hear others input. Thank you for the reply.

Maybe I suck at finding blood and/or tracking it, my experience is limited. I had the same issue with a .243 once. But the deer was recovered.

I've seen deer not drop a bit of blood for 50-75 yards and then leave a beautiful trail after. I always follow up a shot at least a hundred yards checking for blood.

I killed a deer Saturday with a .50 cal Powerbelt hollowpoint and it left a pretty good blood trail. The bullet passed through. I used 100 gr of Pyrodex and hit it a little further behind the shoulder than I wanted. It ran but not terribly far.

I believe shotgun 01 shotgun 01 has some experience with Powerbelts too. He can confirm, but I'm not sure his exited the deer he's shot with them.

Congratulations on your recent success!
I have used Powerbelt bullets since they first came out. Never had a single issue with them. I have been pushing them with 150gr of 777 for longer than I can recall and have always had great results. Most often I had pass through shots and great blood trails on the few that even ran, what little they could.
Most of the bullets I used were 175 to 195 grain in .45 cal, a few were the 50 cal….maybe a 295gr.

Congratulations on your recent success!
I have used Powerbelt bullets since they first came out. Never had a single issue with them. I have been pushing them with 150gr of 777 for longer than I can recall and have always had great results. Most often I had pass through shots and great blood trails on the few that even ran, what little they could.
Most of the bullets I used were 175 to 195 grain in .45 cal, a few were the 50 cal….maybe a 295gr.

Thank you, probably just dumb luck. My theory is that it was a lung shot with no pass through.

Thank you, probably just dumb luck. My theory is that it was a lung shot with no pass through.

I did that with the muzzleloader once. I was on the ground and when the buck ran by me I could see the bullet lodged under his skin on the other side. He only went about 100 yards though.

Back
Top Bottom