• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New to reloading

drjterrell

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
93   0
Reaction score
bench.jpg

New to reloading (am about to make my first batch of .45's. Here's the bench I just finished (don't know why it's so small--or sideways!). 2 quick questions for those of you who've been doing this a while. (1) Are carbide dies interchangeable among brands? My turret press is Lyman; could I use Lee dies? (2) Are 9mm rounds too cheap off-the-shelf to worry about loading?

Thanks!

Jeff

It cost me 139 per 1000 for me to reload 9 and those are hollow points. Most dies are interchangeable as far as I have seen. I use Lee, rcbs and dillon dies with no issues.

I reload probably more 9mm lately than anything else, because I shoot a lot of it. Some people don't think its enough savings to justify reloading. I personally enjoy reloading and shooting a batch that I created myself. I still save some money and the time spent is irrelevant because I am doing something I enjoy.

Nice looking bench setup, I fixed the pic for you. If it was taken with a cell phone, sometimes they come out like that if turned wile taking the photo.

i47.tinypic.com_345lkld.jpg

Welcome to the world of reloading. If you enjoy reloading, then it won't matter to you if you save money. The main thing you achieve is the best ammo for your particular rifle/pistol. I have been reloading for over 30 years and just find it relaxing, more than anything. The savings will come in time, maybe!!

View attachment 112524

New to reloading (am about to make my first batch of .45's. Here's the bench I just finished (don't know why it's so small--or sideways!). 2 quick questions for those of you who've been doing this a while. (1) Are carbide dies interchangeable among brands? My turret press is Lyman; could I use Lee dies? (2) Are 9mm rounds too cheap off-the-shelf to worry about loading?

Thanks!

Jeff

Common caliber dies are all pretty much the same standard thread size and can be interchangeable, the exception would be some odd large caliber sizes like .50 BMG, I could be wrong and if someone else has more experience feel free to chime in.

Also are you a lefty? I noticed the press is mounted on the left side of the bench. I have found it easier to work with mine on the right side with the handle to the outside on the right, it gives me more room to work with components on the middle of the bench. It could be a preference thing, just caught my attention.

GreenPanther is right. I think the standard die size is 7/8 inch. In most presses, any brand of dies can be used. I use mostly Lee dies in my Dillon progressive press, mainly because of price. Lee dies can usually be had for less than $35 where Dillon dies go for $60 - $80 a set.

Thanks a bunch, guys. Spent some time on it this afternoon, after reading two books on it. I'm still a little unclear on how to properly set the bullet and not totally sure about how much to expand the neck. With tolerances in the manuals set to 0.005" it's funny to me that the Lyman instructions say things like "turn die back some." If anybody has time to show a newb how it's done I'd appreciate it!

The set of dies should have pretty good instructions in them, I know that RCBS and LEE have detailed instructions. On the neck expansion, most people call it "bell mouthing" the case. You open up the mouth of the brass just enough to be able to set a bullet in it. The bullet should not go too deep into the "bell" and it should not fall off the case when it is set on it.

You need a caliper to measure the cartridge after it is completed. That determines hou deep you will seat the bullet. If the manual calls for a .45 ACP having an OAL (overall length) of 1.230 then you will seat the bullet so that the OverAll Length of the loaded cartridge is less than 1.230 inches. The reason you would turn back the die would be to regulate your crimp, which a .45 needs just enough crimp to close the "bell mouth" back up.

If I were closer I would love to teach you some reloading tricks.

Last edited:
Everyone is on point. That is a heck of a bench set up you have there, much better than what I started with.

As for 9mm being worth it. I can load 1K/FMJ for under $130. Lead cast under $100. If I had access to free lead and cast my own then less than $50. I don't count brass as a cost as I reuse it for several loadings.

Many of us don't save, we just shoot more!

Back
Top Bottom