New Trijicon Micro RDS

Having done a few RDS classes in the rain (one of which was at night), most of the "issues" folks have with open emitters are completely unfounded.
You can absolutely get mud or dirt there and prevent either the dot from being seen and/or cover the entire window. I got no issues with people running MRDS on their pistols, but typically the same people that are anal and squared away about their defense pistol being 100% reliable want to just throw out the fact that you could pull up that optic and see...nothing. It's a strange justification for something that really only starts to show it's legs at distances that are beyond standard SD engagements anyway.

This is not a problem of just MRDS equipped pistols.

A rifle optic could also be covered or obscured. Are you proposing that RDS not be used on rifles?

If we're taking a duty gun in an OWB rig... sure... I could support your notion, but to dismiss them for this reason alone is silly.

What about a pistol iron sight post that attaches with a screw? HUGE failure point.

This is not a problem of just MRDS equipped pistols.

A rifle optic could also be covered or obscured. Are you proposing that RDS not be used on rifles?

If we're taking a duty gun in an OWB rig... sure... I could support your notion.

The optics I have used on rifles have an enclosed emitter (MRO, AP-T2, EOTech) so, it eliminates the possibility of the dot not being projected. Now you could get dirt/mud on the front lens of those optics, but if you run both eyes open like you are supposed to, its not going to matter.

The optics I have used on rifles have an enclosed emitter (MRO, AP-T2, EOTech) so, it eliminates the possibility of the dot not being projected. Now you could get dirt/mud on the front lens of those optics, but if you run both eyes open like you are supposed to, its not going to matter.
Right. But the same is true of a pistol MRDS. If the front of the glass is covered, you still see the dot and you still see the target (with both eyes open). Doesn't matter if the emitter is open or closed.

If the rear of the glass is covered an an EoTech, you can't see the dot any better than you can on a trijicon MRDS on a pistol with the same problem.

But yes... It's possible the emitter itself could be blocked.. Obscuring the dot.

Which is resolved (usually) on the first shot fired. Not ideal. But doesn't put you out of the "fight".

Right. But the same is true of a pistol MRDS. If the front of the glass is covered, you still see the dot and you still see the target (with both eyes open). Doesn't matter if the emitter is open or closed.

If the rear of the glass is covered an an EoTech, you can't see the dot any better than you can on a trijicon MRDS on a pistol with the same problem.

If the rear glass is covered on anything you are screwed. But you do have a much larger area to find a clean spot if the back glass is covered on say an EOTech vs an RMR.

The ACRO came out of a DOD RFP by guys that wanted a red dot on a pistol but had issues with exposed emitters.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Having done a few RDS classes in the rain (one of which was at night), most of the "issues" folks have with open emitters are completely unfounded.

I agree that “most” of the issues are unfounded when dealing with rain. That leaves room for “some”.

YMMV. Without a doubt the RDS on a handgun is going to be the way to go. For me, I don’t think the technology is there yet, if it’s definitely headed in the right direction. SIG has a prototype P320 that is getting there.

I'm with ya. Im a fan of the Acro. I dig every thing about it.

But I don't let the potential shortcomings of a MRDS in general stop me from using one now. The advantages outweigh the drawbacks already for me.

They are absolutely an advantage at longer distance, but they're also great in getting folks to shoot target focus vs. front sight focus all the time. (it's never hard to find the "new" carry optics shooters at a match)

If the rear glass is covered on anything you are screwed. But you do have a much larger area to find a clean spot if the back glass is covered on say an EOTech vs an RMR.

The ACRO came out of a DOD RFP by guys that wanted a red dot on a pistol but had issues with exposed emitters.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

If I had to use a RDS on a handgun today, the ACRO would be my first choice.

Back
Top Bottom