New Trijicon Micro RDS

I agree that “most” of the issues are unfounded when dealing with rain. That leaves room for “some”.

YMMV. Without a doubt the RDS on a handgun is going to be the way to go. For me, I don’t think the technology is there yet, if it’s definitely headed in the right direction. SIG has a prototype P320 that is getting there.

Irons never fail to work. Even if one flies off, we should still be able to make COM shots at a reasonable self defense distance. Dont get me wrong, I have a RMR on a pistol, but its not for self defense, that no dot panic was enough to change my mind.

The same shot you can make with the irons "flown off the gun" you could make with a broken/covered/obscured MRDS at "reasonable self defense distances".

Hell, you don't need ANY sights on the gun for that. Go catch Cowan's videos on the subject. If you can't get 15yd a-zone hits without sights, you need more practice!

I've seen more irons come off guns in classes than MRDS fail.

Why shoot a plastic gun? It too is more likely to fail than a metal one. :bolt:

Personally, I do not. Lost of folks make the MRDS work for them. But, I pay attention to those I see carrying, mostly to see what I can learn from them, and have never seen a red dot on anybodys EDC. Maybe old school, maybe they know better, I do not know. I run irons on what my life counts on, maybe just me...

Id like to take some classes. Like anything, Im sure with proper training and MRDS would be fine, but Im new school with old school thinking, according to my circle anyway. I know some excellent shooters that run the RMR very effectively. At the end of the day, Irons will get you home. Even my home defense carbine only has irons and light. Probably resistance to change, we all know how people are.

30 years of running handguns. Training and conducting training. USMC, LE, and civilian. Years of competitive shooting. I’ve only seen 3 iron sights come off a gun under use, and the first time I saw it was on an M1911A1 that was around 50 years old. This doesn’t count plastic sights , but then those can’t rightly be called “irons”.

Second was a student that engaged me for a private class, using a Colt 1911 that some “gunsmith” in Houston had butchered up. The rear sight dovetail was cut overly large.

Third was in a pistol class I was conducting about 2 years ago. Tritium front sight came off a Glock......I don’t remember the brand of the sight.

I use my rear sight to rack the slide during disabled drills, and run students through those drills as well. Never had this damage a rear sight.

Personally, I do not. Lost of folks make the MRDS work for them. But, I pay attention to those I see carrying, mostly to see what I can learn from them, and have never seen a red dot on anybodys EDC. Maybe old school, maybe they know better, I do not know. I run irons on what my life counts on, maybe just me...
I EDC a RMR Glock 19. If you haven’t seen it, then my concealment is working.

The same shot you can make with the irons "flown off the gun" you could make with a broken/covered/obscured MRDS at "reasonable self defense distances".

Hell, you don't need ANY sights on the gun for that. Go catch Cowan's videos on the subject. If you can't get 15yd a-zone hits without sights, you need more practice!

Its like people have never heard of or shot ghost ring sights. ;)

Back
Top Bottom