• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Newbie 308 reloading question

Bh10

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
31   0
Reaction score
Im just getting into the reloading game, mainly for my Savage 308 and Mega MaTen 308. The barrel on my MaTen is a 1:10, so Id like to run the heaviest bullet possible and so I can run both bullets in both guns and not have to buy two different bullet sizes. My question is how big of a bullet can I load before I have loading feeding issues in my Mega MaTen?

Run a 175gr Berger or SMK to 2.8" OAL and you should be good in both guns. You can check your chamber in the Savage and stretch them a bit longer. If you're going to batch load for both guns, load to the Mega's magazine length.

I think you should shoot something more like a 150 GRAIN BULLET unless you are planning on shooting over 300 yards on a regular basis.

Berger makes a better bullet but you wont see it if not shooting comps. 175s will fit nicely in both and should stabilize if you savage has a 12 twist. going bigger you mill have issues in the mag for the MATEN and issues stabilizing in the Savage

Try either of these, NOSLER ACCUBOND, BARNES TSX OR THE TTSX...........

We have used the others it just works best for us, only a consideration....

Everyone has their favorites.............................

The 1:10 barrels do like the heavy bullets. I use hornady 178 Amax for my long distance shooting ( out to 900 yards ), then I swap to a Hornady 180 SSt when deer hunting. Since these are so close I don't have to change anything on the scope as far as sighting in between the two rounds. And these 2 rounds with 43.5 Varget powder are less than 1/2MOA

Back
Top Bottom