• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

"No firearms, violators will be treated as trespassers"

Backstreets Pub in Clemson, SC

They aren't doing so well from what I've heard from a few friends that live in the Anderson area. If it weren't for the college kids they'd probably be out of business now. And if you look at their Facebook and Twitter profiles, it's very telling.

Advertising daily specials when they weren't doing that a year or two ago, the number of people liking and commenting has decreased by a lot. I know those might seem like petty things to go on, but still. That little sign did more harm than good. And the funny thing is that IIRC, the original sign wasn't legally enforceable because it didn't follow State guidelines. All he had to do was put up a generic proper sign and no one would have made a stink about it.

They aren't doing so well from what I've heard from a few friends that live in the Anderson area. If it weren't for the college kids they'd probably be out of business now. And if you look at their Facebook and Twitter profiles, it's very telling.

Advertising daily specials when they weren't doing that a year or two ago, the number of people liking and commenting has decreased by a lot. I know those might seem like petty things to go on, but still. That little sign did more harm than good. And the funny thing is that IIRC, the original sign wasn't legally enforceable because it didn't follow State guidelines. All he had to do was put up a generic proper sign and no one would have made a stink about it.

It looks like NOBODY is commenting on Facebook. Or replying to what they say on Twitter. So does that mean nobody cares, or did they cut off all comments on their posts? Not much of a "social media" presence if it's not interactive, and basically just a random billboard floating around cyberspace.

If the state can tell bar owners they cannot allow smoking, I don't see the difference in telling them that they must allow it.
my argument is that if the state can mandate "no smoking" regardless of the owners preference, then state law trumps corporate policy. There is a maximum daily rate that can be charged by hotels which has been established by the state. What if the owner wants to charge more? too bad. By that line of thinking, a sign that says 'no guns' can be ignored, regardless of the corporate policy, because state law says I can carry and state law trumps owners private policy.

You can ignore the sign until the property owner or his representative tells you to leave. The owner can "trespass" you for any reason that is not illegal (race, religion and so on). He can "trespass" you for being ugly, short, too tall, too young, too old, because he doesn't like your daddy and so on.

The trespass notice MAY not just apply as a one time thing. The owner can notice you are barred from the property entirely. If you return to the property after being barred, even if you are not carrying a gun (or otherwise engaged in the conduct that got you barred) your mere presence is a criminal act for which you can be prosecuted. Also while most commercial entities give you a written notice, oral notice is legally sufficient.

You can ignore the sign until the property owner or his representative tells you to leave. The owner can "trespass" you for any reason that is not illegal (race, religion and so on). He can "trespass" you for being ugly, short, too tall, too young, too old, because he doesn't like your daddy and so on.

The trespass notice MAY not just apply as a one time thing. The owner can notice you are barred from the property entirely. If you return to the property after being barred, even if you are not carrying a gun (or otherwise engaged in the conduct that got you barred) your mere presence is a criminal act for which you can be prosecuted. Also while most commercial entities give you a written notice, oral notice is legally sufficient.

So you're agreeing with me that signs can be ignored? Not sure what your point is. No one is disputing the fact that you can be trespassed for any legal reason. others have covered that in this thread extensively already. that wasn't the question. The question is can you legally ignore a no guns sign. We both said yes they can.

To the original point. Its just bully BS scare tactics. There afraid of firearms so there going to try and scare you out of carrying with words and phrases like "trespasser" and "fullest extent of the law" even "douchebag" vvv check this one out
View attachment 522374

You have to be careful when you call names. I heard he was robbed by some criminals who saw the sign. They objected to being called "douchebag losers" I guess. Does that fit the term "asking for it"?

Back
Top Bottom