• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

No more short term canned prep food for me.

My understanding from many prepping years is tomatoes and tomato based substances don't fare well - I believe I was told along the way it was because of the acidity

That being said around circa 1985 - I ate canned C rations that if I remember correctly were canned in 1942 - 44 - The only thing I found unedible was what I thought was potted meat and I was later told were hotdog links that had apparently congealed into one mass - The kind old gentleman who explained it to me said they weren't even worth a damn to begin with -

40+ years & and I have no idea how they were stored - I never got sick and like I said except for the hotdog things everything tasted pretty good

This was also in the days before they had vinyl lined cans - so I would assume food should keep even longer than that now - I would recommend not cooking your food in the water the vegetables are packed in after a long out of date storage because of the PCBs that may be released into it from the vinyl - for obvious reasons you shouldn't heat anything in a can over a campfire anymore either -

I rotate my stock and regularly eat canned peas corn and green beans that are three or four years out of date

Always rinse them and never cook them in the water they were stored in and boil them sufficiently and you should be good to go

My understanding from many prepping years is tomatoes and tomato based substances don't fare well - I believe I was told along the way it was because of the acidity

That being said around circa 1985 - I ate canned C rations that if I remember correctly were canned in 1942 - 44 - The only thing I found unedible was what I thought was potted meat and I was later told were hotdog links that had apparently congealed into one mass - The kind old gentleman who explained it to me said they weren't even worth a damn to begin with -

40+ years & and I have no idea how they were stored - I never got sick and like I said except for the hotdog things everything tasted pretty good

This was also in the days before they had vinyl lined cans - so I would assume food should keep even longer than that now - I would recommend not cooking your food in the water the vegetables are packed in after a long out of date storage because of the PCBs that may be released into it from the vinyl - for obvious reasons you shouldn't heat anything in a can over a campfire anymore either -

I rotate my stock and regularly eat canned peas corn and green beans that are three or four years out of date

Always rinse them and never cook them in the water they were stored in and boil them sufficiently and you should be good to go

I agree. Tomatoes have a high acidity and that's bad for seals. Most cans today are a two-piece can with only the lid sealed. Old three-piece cans with tinned lids and bottoms were the worst for tomatoes. I've had to get a two-by-four to knock cans off grocery shelves where the acid in the tomato cans fused the tin to the steel over the years. This of course was due to non-rotation of stock.

The absolute worst of the worst were the dehydrated rations for LRP. When I drew the pork and scalloped potatoes I just didn't eat. I'd rather eat the big carton the rations were packed in.

Back
Top Bottom