• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

No more short term canned prep food for me.

because unless you have a super hot mormon housewife who cans her homemade food all the time, most of us are limited to canned, dried, freeze-dried, foods or MRE type foods for preparedness. I'll do a lot of things to survive that I wouldn't do every day. That's a given.

After I divorced 20 years ago, I was lusting after a cute little Mormon girl at the local bakery. There's just something about the sunlight shining through a light cotton dress, and no makeup that will get you stirred up at 5:30 AM. lol:thumb:

To me, planning on eating **** real doesn't sound like survival, it 's more like setting yourself up for failure.:wacko:

because unless you have a super hot mormon housewife who cans her homemade food all the time, most of us are limited to canned, dried, freeze-dried, foods or MRE type foods for preparedness.
My wife was hot, but not mormon. We are still eating her canned green beans, jams, corn chowder, pickles, canned applesauce.
Get a garden going. in GA climate you can have fresh veggies 10 months out of the year.

My wife was hot, but not mormon. We are still eating her canned green beans, jams, corn chowder, pickles, canned applesauce.
Get a garden going. in GA climate you can have fresh veggies 10 months out of the year.

I agree most years I get 3 crops in, but you can get 4 with a cold frame.
Some stuff likes the cold weather more that the warm weather.
Plant some lettuce or some greens this month and I'll betcha they make it.

Last year I planted a new variety of sweet green peppers, they didn't do much in the summer and I blamed it on the lack or rain. I'm so glad I got lazy and didn't pull them up, because once it started cooling off they just took off!

I planted a new green bean last year, an Italian flat green bean called the Roma II, one harvest is all it gave us, but it filled almost a half bushel basket. All from a 4' x 16' planter. I'll put them in again this year and plan to put something else in after the first harvest. Unlike other beans I planted before they just came in gang busters and were done.

My wife had me put a flower box in when we did a retaining wall in the back yard. One side is against the house. Our plan was to have annual flowers in the summer and a greenhouse in winter. Easy enough to cover it up with plastic. Fresh tomatoes in January.....:cool:

Winter Greens (spinach/lettuce), Yes Sir. Sweetpotatoes too if i remember right. Never been much'a gardener but used to swap skills/labor w/neighbor. I'll miss that Old Man

Absolutely yes on the spinach, greens and lettuce.
No on the sweet potatoes at least for me.
Once it gets cold the vine turns from green to black.
If you don't dig them up quick the potatoes start to rot.

Back
Top Bottom