• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Not carrying a particular gun for self-defense because it’s too expensive?

The P220 is a fine pistol.

Been around 1911’s folks my entire adult life. I’ve never heard anyone complain about the thumb safety until this thread. Interesting.

Ive been hunting with my rifle with the safety on, just in case i trip. Seen a deer and wondered why the trigger wouldnt pull. I forgot to click the safety off.

I would hate to forget to click off the safety in a life or death situation. If you develop muscle memory for it great but Im not wiling to trust myself with that.

Ive been hunting with my rifle with the safety on, just in case i trip. Seen a deer and wondered why the trigger wouldnt pull. I forgot to click the safety off.

I would hate to forget to click off the safety in a life or death situation. If you develop muscle memory for it great but Im not wiling to trust myself with that.

Not a super shooter here but I rest my thumb on the safety when I shoot 1911s. It's very natural to engage and disengage.

The action of drawing is muscle memory.

Trigger control is muscle memory.

Reloads are muscle memory.

Not a super shooter here but I rest my thumb on the safety when I shoot 1911s. It's very natural to engage and disengage.

One extra step I can live without. Im just lazy i guess. Id rather just pull a trigger than disengage a safety.
The less I have to do and remember the more efficient "I" believe me to be. Even though I dont shoot strikers any more, they are more effective as a combat weapon IMHO. I went to hammers for personal safety and second strike. Im ok with DA for the most part. I do not train enough to be comfortable fast drawing strikers and the DA is a buffer to prevent my stupidity. Even well trained people can get to trigger happy on a 4lbs trigger in a stressful environment.

Reactions: GFB

agree but at one time I had so many different pistols I shot, I would expect the ruger trigger while shooting the SIG, then expect the SIG while shooting the Smith. I decided to shoot only one brand and one trigger type across all platforms. Only thing I change is size of pistol and calibers. My muscles memory fits all my pistols now.

So is flipping a safety. When I'm hunting with my old BAR it is the most thoughtless and natural thing in the world for me to disengage the safety when I see a deer. This year will be my 30th season hunting with that rifle. Naturally, it is what I know. I am certain without a hesitation in my mind that I could learn the 1911 the exact same way, I just haven't done it yet.

agree but at one time I had so many different pistols I shot, I would expect the ruger trigger while shooting the SIG, then expect the SIG while shooting the Smith. I decided to shoot only one brand and one trigger type across all platforms. Only thing I change is size of pistol and calibers. My muscles memory fits all my pistols now.

That is the way to do it. Like I only carry DA/SA’s......for now......

So is flipping a safety. When I'm hunting with my old BAR it is the most thoughtless and natural thing in the world for me to disengage the safety when I see a deer. This year will be my 30th season hunting with that rifle. Naturally, it is what I know. I am certain without a hesitation in my mind that I could learn the 1911 the exact same way, I just haven't done it yet.
If you use a classic high grip on a 1911 you disengage the safety as you get your grip. It's completely natural.

I carried a 1911 for about 35 years and have put hundreds of thousands of rounds through them. I have drawn the weapon from a variety of holster tens of thousands of times. I don't recall ever having a problem disengaging the safety and doing so doesn't add even a fraction of a second to the draw. It's an integral action.

In fact, I miss having that high supported thump position on my Glocks. I think it helps stabilize the weapon and control recoil.

If you use a classic high grip on a 1911 you disengage the safety as you get your grip. It's completely natural.

I carried a 1911 for about 35 years and have put hundreds of thousands of rounds through them. I have drawn the weapon from a variety of holster tens of thousands of times. I don't recall ever having a problem disengaging the safety and doing so doesn't add even a fraction of a second to the draw. It's an integral action.

In fact, I miss having that high supported thump position on my Glocks. I think it helps stabilize the weapon and control recoil.
That is why I like the tanfoglio cz ganked design . The thumb rest helps control

Like I said several times already, I can probably shoot a 1911 better than any other handgun, along with a revolver in SA. Once I take the time to practice with it and ingrain the functions into my motor skills I believe it could be the carry gun for me. It will take time, though.

Completely off topic, sort of, but I find that torquing/rolling my elbow over on my support hand side adds an isometric pressure on the frame, and with the 9mm Glock it has as little recoil as anything when I do this. I can actually loosen my grip and by simply torquing that elbow it adds so much support to the frame that it barely even moves. Like a death grip, literally, because I'm using more of my body to stabilize the gun instead of only my hands. It makes follow ups extremely fast. I've also noticed it gives my muzzle the slightest little cant when aiming, but it works...At least for me it does. I saw another firearms instructor demonstrate this one time and it changed my grip forever, and for the better.

Back
Top Bottom