• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Not carrying a particular gun for self-defense because it’s too expensive?

I’ve made some crazy shots, but nothing like that. First shot hit at 200 yards on an IPSC steel with a Beretta 92, while holding the gun upside down and pulling the trigger with my little finger, in single-action mode.

Yeah I could do that too if I were a really good shooter, but I'm not and I can't. LOL

I don't carry an expensive gun off duty. I have tried everything from a S&W 627 to a H&K 45c. I carry a 9mm Smith and Wesson Shield in a Crossbreed holster. I just have not found anything that I can conceal as well with the same amount of ammo. It is arguably one of the least expensive carry guns that is dependable enough for everyday carry. I shoot it well enough and it has never failed me. I think it boils down to carry what you are comfortable with. I just do not believe that an expensive gun is going to give you enough of an edge in a self defense situation to matter much. Maybe I am the no frills kinda guy being I am enjoying a nice cold PBR as I am typing this.
Price should be irrelevant . I like the shield . Perfect little size and its controllable. Do what works for you and keep it simple when possible.

LOL...Guys in my family have always done the grip contests. Good times! Unfortunately for me I have smaller hands and most of my family has big ol' paws.

I could not remember this guy's name to save my life, but I somehow managed to dig up his video and he demonstrates exactly what I'm talking about. He isn't just another blow hard either. He was special forces in the Army. I believe he is from Brunswick, Ga.

If you have the time check out this short video. It absolutely changed my grip for the better.

Interesting. I never thought about it, but when I press my shoulders forward I also role my elbows in to help increase the wrist pressure I mentioned before.

Reactions: MRH
Interesting. I never thought about it, but when I press my shoulders forward I also role my elbows in to help increase the wrist pressure I mentioned before.

I never thought about it either, and even with my shoulders slightly pressed forward I had never rolled my elbow(s). With 9mm recoil isn't bad anyway, which is one of the attractions about it, but with the elbow rolled in with a high grip like he demonstrates it is almost nil.

Price should be irrelevant . I like the shield . Perfect little size and its controllable. Do what works for you and keep it simple when possible.
Just like good beer!
na_5b0695d44a603.jpg

I don't carry an expensive gun off duty. I have tried everything from a S&W 627 to a H&K 45c. I carry a 9mm Smith and Wesson Shield in a Crossbreed holster. I just have not found anything that I can conceal as well with the same amount of ammo. It is arguably one of the least expensive carry guns that is dependable enough for everyday carry. I shoot it well enough and it has never failed me. I think it boils down to carry what you are comfortable with. I just do not believe that an expensive gun is going to give you enough of an edge in a self defense situation to matter much. Maybe I am the no frills kinda guy being I am enjoying a nice cold PBR as I am typing this.

You can’t say that for sure until you watch a particular person run several handguns, including the expensive gun that they shoot better with. They may shoot exponentionally better with it. We can’t make blanket statements like that, as it depends on each shooter with each gun in a case-by-case basis.

Not give someone “enough of an edge”? How much of an edge is “enough”? I will take each and every edge I can get!

Some folks have taken my OP to be a knock against “cheap” carry guns. I said no such thing, and never will.......within reason. The main gist of my OP is to carry whatever handgun YOU are most comfortable with, regardless of cost or operating system. I have never denigrated anyone in any of my classes for their choice in handgun, and I’ve never told someone they needed a more expensive gun.

What is hands down the most common handgun I recommend to folks for CCW? The Glock. After I ask a few questions, I usually narrow it down to the G19, the G26, or the G43. I’ve recommended the Shield to folks as well. Those handguns just don’t happen to be the best option for ME.

You can’t say that for sure until you watch a particular person run several handguns, including the expensive gun that they shoot better with. They may shoot exponentionally better with it. We can’t make blanket statements like that, as it depends on each shooter with each gun in a case-by-case basis.

Not give someone “enough of an edge”? How much of an edge is “enough”? I will take each and every edge I can get!

Some folks have taken my OP to be a knock against “cheap” carry guns. I said no such thing, and never will.......within reason. The main gist of my OP is to carry whatever handgun YOU are most comfortable with, regardless of cost or operating system. I have never denigrated anyone in any of my classes for their choice in handgun, and I’ve never told someone they needed a more expensive gun.

What is hands down the most common handgun I recommend to folks for CCW? The Glock. After I ask a few questions, I usually narrow it down to the G19, the G26, or the G43. I’ve recommended the Shield to folks as well. Those handguns just don’t happen to be the best option for ME.

I understand that for a professional or say a competition shooter a more expensive weapon tuned to their needs would give that person an edge. As for me I shoot a lot for a typical law enforcement guy but nowhere near the amount of a competitive shooter. For myself I do not believe a more expensive handgun would give me much more of an edge.

I do not take it as a knock at all. Like I said I am carrying what works best for me. I carry a Glock at work and the Shield is similar enough in function that I carry it as a back up. I just never liked the 43.

I also have nothing against someone that wants to carry a nice custom pistol. If that is what that person is comfortable with then I have no issues at all with it.

I could not remember this guy's name to save my life, but I somehow managed to dig up his video and he demonstrates exactly what I'm talking about. He isn't just another blow hard either. He was special forces in the Army. I believe he is from Brunswick, Ga.

That's John Lovell. Former Army Ranger, tactician / trainer , strong Christian, family guy, etc. He conducts training through his 'Warrior Poet Society'.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ZKDGCc5R67fVvLFSv-OLA/videos
Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 00.32.30.png

Back
Top Bottom