• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Odd .45acp reloading problem - Have you seen this before?

Yes I have seen that before. Although I am not exactly sure of what causes that I believe that it may be the primer manufacturer. I have a group of 45acp large primers that did that once. I had to make a tool the pry them out in order to save the brass.

Jackie Graham Jackie Graham - I'm not going to mess with the bad ones, because there's only 50 or so out of a 1,000. But I'm interested - what did the tool look like and what did you make it out of?

Oops wasn't logged on and just saw your description, Thanks Jackie

Earlier this year for the first time, some used .38 SPL brass (no mil crimp) I picked up that had been cleaned had several cases that did this. I assumed it had to do with the way it was processed?

The only other time I had a similar issue was with military crimped brass but most of the primer was already pressed out and easy to grab with needle nose pliers.

I bought some 357 Sig brass that had been cleaned with SS pins and some type of soloution. They were very hard to deprime. It was almost like the liquid used to clean the brass had somehow gotten around the primer and corroded. And the primer pocket was kinda dusty/corroded looking once the primers were removed.

But, mine didn't do like those 45's. Had those been cleaned in liquid before trying to deprime ?

I bought some 357 Sig brass that had been cleaned with SS pins and some type of soloution. They were very hard to deprime. It was almost like the liquid used to clean the brass had somehow gotten around the primer and corroded. And the primer pocket was kinda dusty/corroded looking once the primers were removed.

But, mine didn't do like those 45's. Had those been cleaned in liquid before trying to deprime ?

this very likely the issue. somebody stm'd primer in and just let em air dry in a crappy slow dry enviro vs. putting them directly in oven on 200 deg for 1.5 hr. primer corroded and lockdown ensued

this very likely the issue. somebody stm'd primer in and just let em air dry in a crappy slow dry enviro vs. putting them directly in oven on 200 deg for 1.5 hr. primer corroded and lockdown ensued
Will have to respectfully disagree with you on this one.
I wash all my brass and let them air dry. I have probably washed in excess of 300,000 pieces this way. Other that one batch of 45acp, which were all Winchester, I have very little problems with the primers popping. I just finished 36k in 9mm and had 2 pop on me.
It is my opinion that the primer itself is the problem. Probably a bad batch from the manufacturer. If it were as you described it would be happening more often and on multiple head stamps. 95% of mine are Winchester and I have had several PPU. Very little on any other head stamp brass.

I had this happen all the time when I worked for a commercial reloader. It constantly happen with CBC (Magtech) brass in all calibers, especially 40 and 223. It randomly happened with other brands too, very seldom though. I have a couple of speculations as to why it happens:

1: all the non Magtech brass it happened to usually looked to be "range queens " , just re affirming what was previously mentioned about laying around too long.

2: very tight primer pockets. It happened quite a bit with Seller & Bellot brass in 45 acp

3: thin primer walls

4: military crimp on the primer, as mentioned. Also, the primer pocket sealant the military uses to "keep their powder dry"

5: corrosion - sometimes military brass came from bases near the ocean, they always had alot of depriming issues. Probably from laying out in the sand and salty air for so long. The brass was usually solid black and green with corrosion (now you know where the good deals on bulk 223 remans comes from, haha!)

Hope this proved to be helpful in some way.

Back
Top Bottom