• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Officers kill double amputee in wheelchair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cops, non-cops & Monday Morning QB's can debate this all day. Lets remove what we do or dont do for a living and put it to the "reasonable man" test. Wozbean mentioned disparity of force, is there a reasonable man who feels a one armed-one legged man, with a pen, in a wheelchair has disparity of force over two full grown healthy men (not cops-just men)? C'mon guys get over what you do for a living or how bad or good you think cops are. If two civilans shot this guy it would be considered violence-not force and at sentencing (we can all agree they would get convicted) the victims disability would probably cause the judge to add a enhancement factor to the sentence that would allow him to go above the sentencing guidelines.

PS. Bad cops are not the problem, bad cops are the results/symptoms of a flawed cadidate selection process. However, never forget the one thing all cops, good or bad have in common-they are human. As humans we make mistakes everyday..no matter what we do for a living.

Part of me really wants to jump all over Leo on this one, but I have some questions.
1. Why wasn't less lethal force used, pepper spray or tazer before the situation escalated??
2. What was said by the wheelchair man? Was me making direct threats towards the officers safety??

While a wheelchair bound man may not be too deadly, the fact that the officer was cornered leaves me to believe the endangered officer was not trying to antagonize the situation. Again, not sticking up for the cops, but media has a rep for telling us what they want. I've done a rennivation on a mental facility, tools had to be inventoried and locked when not in use, no tools visible. When accompanied by the fact of his mental state, I have to inquire as to how he acquired the pen... While your garden variety BIC seems useless, remember this man was not in a well mental state. A schizo could easily lunch that into the officer 2-3 inches when in aan aggressive state.

That said, why didn't the officer sidestep? I can understand tunnel vision, could this have been the officers first encounter with an aggressor? It all boils down to a lack of training. The man wasn't shot just cuz, it was related to officer safety that was immediate, but at the same time, better training could have prevented the situation Ans the shooting..

Unfortunately leos are judged in a court of public opinion. Example, do as I say not as I do, a cop tags someone mobile at 15 over the limit while he or she is running lets say 55mph. How fast must they run to stop turn around and catch up to someone running 15 over? The purpose of speed limits, supposedly is to reduce the dangerous drivers and habits. So the question is this, which one is the greater danger to society in this example? Btw that same cop will probably have blacked out windows, legal for him, and not wearing a seatbelt, also legal for him. Of all motorists who need a seatbelt wouldn't you think the cop would? That badge won't protect him in a crash. So when all this is seen by the average citizen they develop a bad taste for cops. That combined with the fact that in ga a lot of rural officers got their job not because of a resume but because of who they know. My local chief deputy is the sheriffs son! If cops want to be seen as beyond reproach they should conduct themselves as such. On the other hand they do have a sh**ty job and worse pay. Most get little or no respect from most of you douchebags who can't do the job because of whatever your excuse of the day is, probably low morals, obesity, or whatever your dope smoking, liberal, communist, hippie, tree hugging, Jesus hating, welfare drawing, democrat beliefs are. So if you don't like it, or don't approve of the way they operate, either join and make a difference or quit your bitc*ing

Glad to see everyone here has been in a life or death situation before where you have hours to decide what to do and not seconds. Hate to be on the wrong side of everyone else here but it was the second officer who took the shot. It was his job as the cover officer to protect his partner and from his point of view a pen can look like a knife, ice pick, or even a pen knife(yes they do exist.)

Why does everyone bash the police because they had one bad run in.

This is coming from someone who has served the country and community since the day I turned 18.
I hate to rant but it just gets under my skin when people who probably never served a day in their lives can monday morning quarter back someone with out being there.

But I guess that's what the internet is for so Carry On.

And HERE we have the problem with police - no backbone, no ability to distinguish between a cop acting like a criminal and a criminal. Backing a coward who shoots a man in a wheel chair. I mean - seriously. If anyone needs a reason why people hate the police......this reply frames it up...........PERFECTLY. You can judge right and wrong UNLESS a guy is wearing blue - then your retarded. Go back to school son.

Last edited:
Anyone that can try to justify this, say you needed to be there, or says you can't lay judgement unless your a cop is either a) Ignorant b) A fool c) an ignorant fool or d) a criminal in the making....

And HERE we have the problem with police - no backbone, no ability to distinguish between a cop acting like a criminal and a criminal. Backing a coward who shoots a man in a wheel chair. I mean - seriously. If anyone needs a reason why people hate the police......this reply frames it up...........PERFECTLY. You can judge right and wrong UNLESS a guy is wearing blue - then your retarded. Go back to school son.

Obviously your the expert here so I guess I'll have to defer to whatever you say. I was in no way saying what they did was right only saying that anyone who looks at this from only one point of view and not objectively is "retarded." If you just read what the news puts out and believe every word then I guess you'll take that as the only truth out there.
As for "coward" who can shoot a man in a wheel chair. Just because he is in a wheel chair doesn't mean he'll get any special treatment from me. He's nothing special just because he needs to sit down to get around still just a human being. A bipolar, schizophrenic, 40 something human being who is in the chair because he managed to get hit by a moving 100 ton train. Obviously a pillar in the community.
Am I saying the officers could have acted differently sure, do they need to be retrained on how the deal with the mentally ill of course 100%. Do they deserve the benefit of doubt, yes just like everyone else in the country. Until proven beyond a reasonably doubt.

There is currently a worldwide bacon shortage and we're arguing about this? What a sad world we live in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom