• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ok ODT Clan - help me reload

ddennis

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
45   0
Reaction score
Ok Gang. I am finally taking the plunge. Take a look at my list of items I plan to order (not necessarily all from Amazon) and let me know if I need anything other than, Brass, Primers, powder and bullets. I already have a set of digital calipers...

http://a.co/eGJBssR

Buy from midsouth shooters supply. Better prices and you usually get your stuff quick from Fedex because they are in Tennessee. Just get the RCBS starter kit and your dies as well as a few bullets for now.

If you are in Winder check out (the Gun Room) I think that's what its called by the railroad tracks. They have a good supply of reloading equipment and supplies.

Thanks for the info - I'll look into them! But - will I need anything more than I've listed? handloader handloader - I've looked at the RCBS starter kit too....

I was mainly using Amazon to organize a shopping list. Once I know what all I will for sure need, I'll shop around for best deals. I'm a TOTAL newb at this...

Ok Gang. I am finally taking the plunge. Take a look at my list of items I plan to order (not necessarily all from Amazon) and let me know if I need anything other than, Brass, Primers, powder and bullets. I already have a set of digital calipers...

http://a.co/eGJBssR
yes you need lub, dies, scale, reamer, book for reloading, confidence

Having the turret the shell holder really isn't necessary. Your unloaded shell will be a complete bullet before it comes off the press, you won't be filling 50 pieces of brass with powder then loading the bullets in a separate action later on like you would with a single stage. Thats what those loading plates are really for and an unnecessary extra expense IMHO for your application.

As well the shell holders come with the dies, so unless you plan to have a universal decapping die you likely won't need those either. They can be handy to have though if you are like me and dont always put stuff back where its supposed to be and cant find it when you need it :lol:

An inexpensive digital scale would be a big plus though. They can be had in the $20-40 range. I forget the brand I have, just make sure they are accurate to the 1/10th of a grain though. the harbor freight ones wont do because they only measure whole grains, not 10ths. The beam scale the kit comes with is very accurate, but the digital works a lot faster (a fan in the room is enough to throw either scale off btw)

A good reloading manual is a helpful thing to have and read through before you actually start making bullets. I have the lee manual. There is a lot of helpful information in them to make the most accurate bullet possible for your application and more than just how to make a bullet work, but how to make it work as well as possible. Making a bullet is easy, making one that will give you .5 MOA accuracy takes a lot of knowledge about your firearm and how to make the bullet specifically fit your firearm. The knowledge behind the science is in these reloading manuals and its not difficult to do if you pay attention to the reading. 3/4 of the book is load data you will likely never need (but is still handy to have if the internet is out and you cant look up a powder load for your bullet) but the first 1/4 of the book that explains the science of loading is worth its weight in gold and will help you keep from blowing up a nice gun

Reloading manual, case trimmer, reloading manual, case prep tools, reloading manual, powder scale, and maybe even a reloading manual.
Have fun, it can get addicting!

Reloading manuals, tumbler, Media (walnut shells at petsmart) or stainless, brass, primers, bullets, Press, dies, shell holders, calipers, powder, primer press, case trimmer, Etc

Thanks for the info - I'll look into them! But - will I need anything more than I've listed? handloader handloader - I've looked at the RCBS starter kit too....

I was mainly using Amazon to organize a shopping list. Once I know what all I will for sure need, I'll shop around for best deals. I'm a TOTAL newb at this...

Just drive down to Columbus and I will teach you one Saturday. Then you will really know what you need.

Back
Top Bottom