• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Old Junkyards

beaker

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
21   0
Reaction score
I love going to old junkyards, whether it's to look for that one part I need to finish a project, or looking for the next one to bring back to it's former glory, or just to walk around and look. There use to be a really good one in White Ga,I think it was called Old Car City USA, up I-85 north of Atlanta. Not sure if it's even there anymore, but it was really cool just to walk around and look at all the old cars and trucks. Anyway, seems like the old junkyards are drying up and going away, as the owners of these yards are getting older, or just plain passing away, I came across this video this morning, thought I would share.

[video]http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=019_1358559521[/video]

I have been to that one too! it's up 75 just out side of Cartersville. I grew up going to junkyards with my dad,he would quiz us on the years,makes and models of the cars and trucks. They just won't let you do that kind of stuff anymore. Thanks for the link.

Old Car City is still there and is a Photographer's mecca. I've been a few times and always spend hours taking photos.

Here are some shots from there. Yes, they have a certain moodiness to them. That is intended.
www.axial_photography.com_StillLifes_Old_Car_City_i_RJc56G8_0_X3_Wilson_20121103_0095_X3.jpg

www.axial_photography.com_StillLifes_Old_Car_City_i_3hwBd3K_0_X3_Wilson_20121103_0082_X3.jpg

www.axial_photography.com_StillLifes_Old_Car_City_i_dmH5bgZ_0_X3_Wilson_20121103_0079_X3.jpg

www.axial_photography.com_StillLifes_Old_Car_City_i_KB6K8CM_0_X3_Wilson_20121103_0047_X3.jpg

www.axial_photography.com_StillLifes_Old_Car_City_i_3j82gmZ_0_X3_Wilson_20121103_0036_X3.jpg

www.axial_photography.com_StillLifes_Old_Car_City_i_Gn2MM9W_0_X3_Wilson_20121103_0034_X3.jpg

About 6 years ago I drove up to Old Car City. They said they weren't running the riding tour but if I wanted to walk around I could but not to go over to the covered buildings so that is where I headed. I found a really neat 1942 Ford Fordor that had been used as a military staff car (last year for the Ford's until I think 46 or so). It sang to me. They said they didn't want to sell it. I bought it and got it delivered on a roll back that afternoon. It spent over 2 years in a pro shop getting a frame off restoration (thanks to Auto Motion in Douglasville). It ended up as the ultimate touring hotrod. Quick, loud, big inside for the family, air conditioned and automatic everything else from door openers to trunk opener. Just goes to show where you can go if you see something that sings and you can have a vision. Ended up trading it off and building a 1923 Ford T Bucket. Room just for me plus 1, very fast, very loud, very showy, very cold when it's chilly, guaranteed sunburn when it is hot but it sings to me and I love it. Young kids pull up in rice burners and I leave them in tire smoke. Next light they pull up and say "nice car but such a waste with such an old guy driving it", but I don't mind. I'm dang proud to have made it to 62. Anyway, props to Old Car City.

About 6 years ago I drove up to Old Car City. They said they weren't running the riding tour but if I wanted to walk around I could but not to go over to the covered buildings so that is where I headed. I found a really neat 1942 Ford Fordor that had been used as a military staff car (last year for the Ford's until I think 46 or so). It sang to me. They said they didn't want to sell it. I bought it and got it delivered on a roll back that afternoon. It spent over 2 years in a pro shop getting a frame off restoration (thanks to Auto Motion in Douglasville). It ended up as the ultimate touring hotrod. Quick, loud, big inside for the family, air conditioned and automatic everything else from door openers to trunk opener. Just goes to show where you can go if you see something that sings and you can have a vision. Ended up trading it off and building a 1923 Ford T Bucket. Room just for me plus 1, very fast, very loud, very showy, very cold when it's chilly, guaranteed sunburn when it is hot but it sings to me and I love it. Young kids pull up in rice burners and I leave them in tire smoke. Next light they pull up and say "nice car but such a waste with such an old guy driving it", but I don't mind. I'm dang proud to have made it to 62. Anyway, props to Old Car City.
Sure like to see pictures of your car!

Old Car City guy is running cars for sale on Craigslist now. Search "White" for White, Ga. in cars for sale.
bunch of stuff but mostly too far gone for me.

Back
Top Bottom