• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Openly Carrying A Rifle in GA

LEO wouldn't even be able to inquire if the person on private property with a gun had a permit or not......it's really not that hard to come to a reasonable conclusion.

That's a very circular definition, and despite that not complete.

The LEO can secure a gun without any articulable suspicion for his own protection, and in the appropriate circumstances inquire if the person has a permit.

It's really really hard to make those kind of blanket statements that are 100% true in all situations.

So, CQB, are you admitting it's a crime but saying that you can successfully lie your way out of it by falsely claiming that you were engaged in sport shooting?

Or...do you really think it's not a crime (for an unlicensed person) to carry (handguns) on private property if the private property / business owner says it's OK?

I could try to talk to you through the legal matters if you're actually confused,
but if you're just advocating being a criminal, and being a liar...
..well there's nothing I can do. You're beyond help.

To the original OP: I've heard of Rangers "humping" a sledge hammer as a rifle simulator. Although the earlier post about a steel pipe with a sling seems much safer to me.

I've used a steel pipe with a 90 degree fitting on it as a "walking stick".

Since the OP is talking about a long march
along public streets in urban or suburban areas
carrying a rifle, and without any GWL,

I'll bring up two other laws to watch out for,
although most cops wouldn't know about these laws anyway,
and the odds of you getting arrested for something like this are pretty slim.

1-- The 2 laws in OCGA 16-12-XX on the subjects of possessing fire arms or dangerous devices on buses trains airports or any transportation terminal.
You'll notice that they don't use the term "weapon" and the definition of weapon as found in code section 16-11-125.1 wouldn't apply here in 16 -12 anyway.
This law in chapter 12 uses the term "firearm" which is a very broad term and would include any rifle or shotgun or carbine, regardless of caliber, barrel length, or stock configuration.

Note also that the definition of a transportation terminal includes public streets and sidewalks within a reasonable distance from those places, and the parking lots of any bus or train station. So I'm thinking that if you walk with a rifle past a MARTA bus stop in Atlanta, you could come under the coverage of this law.

Then,
2-- we have the federal law passed by Congress in the middle 1990s banning firearms from within 1000 feet of school property.
This law has a blanket exception for GWL holders. In fact so does the earlier law I mentioned above regarding weapons at bus, rail, or other transportation facilities!

But without a GWL, possessing a rifle at or too-near these types of places could theoretically get you in trouble.

P.S. I am a lawyer.
I did write a book specifically on Georgia weapons laws.
You can buy the book on Amazon.com.
But this posting on ODT isn't legal advice.

Here's a little side note. If you have an AR pistol, you do need a permit. According to an LE buddy, some joker got caught up on federal charges this weekend. Someone called the cops on him (apparently being suspicious) and when they detained him, they asked for his permit. He said he doesn't need one for a rifle. Well the cop is an avid gun guy and said what he is carrying is an AR pistol, not a rifle. At that time, buddy started sweating bullets.

Back
Top Bottom