• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Opinion on vehicle age vs mileage

cwy

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
42   0
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm looking for opinions on the age of a vehicle compared to the mileage. I'm currently looking at a 2017 Ram that has 185,000 highway miles. Truck looks like new. No issues or wear. All maintenance records, one owner and price is 1/3 of the price when new. Normally I wouldn't consider one with this many miles, but with the condition, records, and the fact that most wear happens at start up I'm thinking about it. Let me know what you think.
Thanks

As long as it's a Toyota you should be good to go. If its a Chevy the transmission most likely will explode on you based on my experience.

It would have already gone out and the newer rebuilt GM transmissions seek to hold up better.

How many miles when yours went out?

I would guess between 110k - 150k

At 185,000 miles a Chevy transmission would have gone out at least twice. They have yet to update the sun shell in the transmission. What should be a one piece unit is a pressed together unit. It holds the entire weight of the truck on splines that are about 1/8 deep and less than a quarter inch long. It is a piss poor design that should have never made it to a production unit.

Back
Top Bottom