• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Patterned the turkey gun today

A friend and I tested our 20 ga shotguns (mossberg / winchester / weatherby choke system) with 5 kinds of chokes, all using the same ammo (7.5 birdshot) at the same distance (20 yds.) The shotguns were different brands, but same barrel length. We shot at big lengths of newsprint paper from a roll, and always had clean targets for each shot. We tested.

Cylinder bore (flush fit)
Imp. Cyl (flush fit)
Mod. (flush fit)
Full. (flush fit)
and a Carlson's Turkey choke. (extended)

One shotgun shot its cylinder bore tube better than the other-- the size of the patterns were visibly different. We did two shots each with cylinder tubes installed.

The improved cylinder tubes didn't seem any tighter than "cylinder." This was unexpected, so we repeated the shoot to confirm it, and yes, there was really no "improvement" over cylinder. Not to the naked eye. If we divided the target into quadrants and actually counted the pellet strikes in each zone, maybe that would show some difference.

Modified chokes gave visibly tighter patterns, and this was the first time that the center 10" zone of the pattern was dense enough that even a small bird or clay target presenting edgewise would be reliably hit with more than one pellet. But, one gun (his) shot tighter groups than mine. Both with our same-sized MOD chokes (flush fit).

The full choke tubes were tighter yet, as expected. Just slightly-- barely enough to be visible at a glance.

Now, up to this point, all the patterns were well-centered on the targets, as we "aimed" pretty carefully.
No shotguns threw off center patterns, until...

Until we used my Carlson extended turkey choke.
My gun threw a tight pattern considerably to the right of my aiming point. I fired twice at two different patterning targets to confirm this. My friend's gun, using THE SAME choke tube, threw his pattern LEFT and also LOW. He also confirmed this with a second shot thu that choke tube.

Weird.

The next time I shoot that shotgun, I'm going to try leaving the Carlson's extended turkey choke a little short of being fully seated, maybe 1/4 or 1/3 of a turn shy of being tight, and see if that moves my pattern to the center or 12 o'clock position (either would be fine with me).

9AA7B186-1BA1-4AC8-A041-7ECF77CECB22.jpeg

Two different shotguns that have the same interchangeable choke threading system were fired with exactly the same turkey choke in them --we actually transferred the choke from one gun to another in between the shots.
One gun grouped low left, the other shotgun grouped high and right.
9AA7B186-1BA1-4AC8-A041-7ECF77CECB22.jpeg

PS: The paper is 24" wide, top to bottom, and the spray painted red aiming point is about 6 inches diameter.

The hand is a few feet in front of the target, and the five fingers is a reminder that this is a photo of the 5th and final set of targets in the series of tests.

View attachment 3810503
Two different shotguns that have the same interchangeable choke threading system were fired with exactly the same turkey choke in them --we actually transferred the choke from one gun to another in between the shots.
One gun grouped low left, the other shotgun grouped high and right.View attachment 3810503

PS: The paper is 24" wide, top to bottom, and the spray painted red aiming point is about 6 inches diameter.

The hand is a few feet in front of the target, and the five fingers is a reminder that this is a photo of the 5th and final set of targets in the series of tests.
Yes that’s why it’s always important to pattern whatever your using before going hunting. Some of the extended chokes are bad about having a different POI than POA

Back
Top Bottom