• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

People that pull out BOS during a trade....

Status
Not open for further replies.
YOU are the one claiming a positive (That a BOS for a gun sale serves a useful purpose) so it should be easy to prove. I can't prove a negative. If I said clicking my heals three time makes any used gun more accurate I should be able to prove it.
A BOS for a gun purchase is NOT required and gives personal information (based on the way many do them) to an unknown party that has the potential to do HARM to the person supplying the information. It also provides NOTHING that can be verified in other ways as you yourself have already admitted. THOSE are the FACTS.
Doing them is idiotic. THAT is an opinion.
You should charge city prices.

And, I am not saying they are required. You know that. Yet you keep repeating that they are NOT required as if someone is telling you they are required. Everyone understands that. No one in this thread has said they are required. Yet you keep saying that over and over and over. If you want to go on believing that a bill of sale has no legal relevance, then go for it. You might as well also say that a written contract between two people is also not relevant in court if the contract relates to guns. You are trying to convert your dislike of bills of sale into a general statement of law about the admissibility of bills of sale in court.

Okay, that's fine. How will you prove that it's a legit/real one? Do you have them notarized during the transaction?

I don't require them or even ask for them. I will sign one if someone asks and if it only relates to the transaction and has no personal info other than my name. As to how you authenticate it? The same way any document is authenticated in court. Documents are not admissible in court only if they are notarized. The vast majority of contract and bills of sale, etc., are not notarized. Under GA law, a car bill of sale and certain other specific financial transactions require a notary, but the uniform commercial code governs most other sales of goods (or the state version of the UCC). And the UCC does not require notarized bills of sale. A signature can be analyzed, which is probably the most common way. Duplicate copies are also relevant of course. (if you do a bill of sale, you should make sure you have duplicate copies so the other person does not add terms after the fact, like. 500 paid now and 1000 due in 30 days).

I don't require them or even ask for them. I will sign one if someone asks and if it only relates to the transaction and has no personal info other than my name. As to how you authenticate it? The same way any document is authenticated in court. Documents are not admissible in court only if they are notarized. The vast majority of contract and bills of sale, etc., are not notarized. Under GA law, a car bill of sale and certain other specific financial transactions require a notary, but the uniform commercial code governs most other sales of goods (or the state version of the UCC). And the UCC does not require notarized bills of sale. A signature can be analyzed, which is probably the most common way. Duplicate copies are also relevant of course. (if you do a bill of sale, you should make sure you have duplicate copies so the other person does not add terms after the fact, like. 500 paid now and 1000 due in 30 days).

Yea that's a good point. Doesn't convince me to use them though.

And, I am not saying they are required. You know that. Yet you keep repeating that they are NOT required as if someone is telling you they are required. Everyone understands that. No one in this thread has said they are required. Yet you keep saying that over and over and over. If you want to go on believing that a bill of sale has no legal relevance, then go for it. You might as well also say that a written contract between two people is also not relevant in court if the contract relates to guns. You are trying to convert your dislike of bills of sale into a general statement of law about the admissibility of bills of sale in court.
I am stating they are not required simply as a point of FACT to emphasize how ridiculous they are. Why do you harp on that one point and not the other point I keep making, invariably in the same sentence, about the potential danger of giving strangers your personal information regarding gun ownership? Lots of things aren't required that still make sense.
You can't provide a case to support your position (fine). You've said you don't require them (good).

"
A BOS for a gun purchase is NOT required and gives personal information (based on the way many do them) to an unknown party that has the potential to do HARM to the person supplying the information. It also provides NOTHING that can't be verified in other ways as you yourself have already admitted. THOSE are the FACTS.

if the trade was in my favor more so then theirs then i would sign as long as they did not write down my address, birthday, phone number etc., i feel that my name and signature would be enough any more then that and its a no go.

for a normal trade then i don't do bos

I am like fish biting at the worm. The item being sold is just an item. Your rights under the 2nd have nothing to do with it.The 5th amendment prohibits the government from taking any of my property. So everything I own is actually protected by the constitution. Yet bills of sale for sale of private property between individuals have been a staple of business transactions, disputes, and court proceedings for 100s of years.
This is exactly right.

Are you against BOS in general or just in relation to guns? Just wondering what you do in the case of buying a car/boat/trailer off of somebody and having to give all of that information? As I stated earlier I don't normally ask for one but I don't flip out either if somebody does want one... Heck I just signed a BOS to a guy who bought my dirtbike last week. He brought it. I wasn't going to flip out and send him away when he was standing there with cash in hand.

I not only get a BOS bit print out all corrospodence I have including PM's and the ad from the ODT, a pic of the veh tag at the meet to trade, etc, to further prove where I got it in the event is is stolen or used in a crime I damn sure don't want the buck stopping in my butt. Call me paranoid but I am ex LEO and know how the system works so I try to wensure I don't wind up at the end of a trace.

This is why you and I will never do business. I can call you several things for this and "paranoid" is the most polite.

I don't give a **** if you are an ex LEO, ex husband, or ex astronaut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom