Persimmons dropping while green??

There isn't a persimmon tree in georgia that won't get pollinated (assuming we are talking about common native persimmons and not japanese) I promise you.

They're cheap too. http://www.wildlifegroup.com/shop-for-persimmon-trees/
All persimmons are from Japan they were exported in the 1800's. There are many varieties. 7 of them are edible. 2 of them are commercially grown.

A male tree must pollinate a female tree before fruit can form. Bees usually do the pollination, but can be done by the wind in close proximity.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/persimmons-need-pollinated-59104.html

I have a large female persimmon in my back yard, so I get to carefully monitor each year's persimmon crop. Most fruit trees will self prune to some extent because they set more fruit than the tree can nurture.

In drought years, the tree drops a lot of immature fruit. It has a sparse crop this year and it is just starting to drop some ripe fruit.

On our lease, we have a few female trees, They are young but bearing. I am convinced that at the lease we have at least two cultivars, because the trees are all in one small area, but there are substantial differences in the fruit, primarily size and color. The differences are consistent year to year for each tree. I'd like to get more information on this possibility, but I've yet to run across a persimmon expert at the big U down the street,

We have a large stand of male trees, and in a good year, they are covered with bees. Without the bees making so much noise you really wouldn't notice the flowers.

I have a large female persimmon in my back yard, so I get to carefully monitor each year's persimmon crop. Most fruit trees will self prune to some extent because they set more fruit than the tree can nurture.

In drought years, the tree drops a lot of immature fruit. It has a sparse crop this year and it is just starting to drop some ripe fruit.

On our lease, we have a few female trees, They are young but bearing. I am convinced that at the lease we have at least two cultivars, because the trees are all in one small area, but there are substantial differences in the fruit, primarily size and color. The differences are consistent year to year for each tree. I'd like to get more information on this possibility, but I've yet to run across a persimmon expert at the big U down the street,

We have a large stand of male trees, and in a good year, they are covered with bees. Without the bees making so much noise you really wouldn't notice the flowers.
Self prune? Drop branches or fruit drop?

All persimmons are from Japan they were exported in the 1800's. There are many varieties. 7 of them are edible. 2 of them are commercially grown.

A male tree must pollinate a female tree before fruit can form. Bees usually do the pollination, but can be done by the wind in close proximity.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/persimmons-need-pollinated-59104.html
Most obviously refer to the common "American Persimmon" (Diospyros virginiana) as native. I've never known any other persimmon to volunteer in North America (though I'm sure some have). I'll stand by my statement that ANY female native persimmon will produce fruit whether you can find a male tree nearby or not (yes, they obviously must have one but the ability for the pollinators to do their deed regardless of proximity is impressive, at least for persimmons).

And while we're on the subject, here's a tutorial I typed up a while back some might find useful (in the spring) to determine which sex you have.

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/got-any-persimmon-trees.994610/#post-5047252

Self prune? Drop branches or fruit drop?
Drop fruit

I should have said "self thin" although I'm sure there's a more technical term.

Even domestic fruit trees tend to do it, although some need help.

In a "good" year the amount of fruit it turns out is incredible. Easy to see how early Americans used it so much.

One reason there aren't many old persimmons around is that for 100 years or so, it was the preferred wood for high quality golf "woods"-drivers. Also used for other projects that required a smooth hard surfaced wood.

It shares a quality with dogwood, another hard smooth wood. They emit a lot of heat when they burn, but almost no flame.

Back
Top Bottom