• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who all carry a pistol while deer hunting

Well unfortunately i dont not carry a pistol while deer hunting. I have to much stuff and i wear coveralls for one. Two I forget it in truck 🤣. I do have a chest rig but dont remember to get it.After the other day i might start carrying one. I shot a doe the other day and she fell behind my tree I climbed. Had 5 buzzards fly in and sat in tree watching her for about 15 mins.
I carry a 10mm in a chest rig when hunting. Not sure if you meant you would have taken shots at the vultures, but be careful, they are a federally protected species.

It's deer hunting not a tactical breach!
yep
but if you have ever had yotes tailing you out of the woods after dark, you may change your mind. sometimes the 3 or 4 rounds in the hunting rifle may not seem as good as a semi with 15+ in it...

If I was to deer hunt here in Virginia I would use my AR-15 hunting rig in 6.8SPC. There is no large capacity magazines restrictions in Virginia. With 28 rounds of 6.8SPC at my disposal the threat of a few mangy dogs does not concern me.

I used to always carry a 1911 either in 45 or 10mm. I've since sold all my 1911s and gotten away from carrying a handgun while deer hunting. I probably should start back carrying one.

I have never actually needed a handgun while deer hunting, but I did dispatch an armadillo with a full mag of 45s one evening because it came running directly at me out of a cotton field. At the time, I didn't know they were pretty much blind and thought it was running toward me on purpose. I don't know what danger I thought an armadillo could pose if it was charging at me on purpose, but it was greatly amusing to my two hunting buddies who were already waiting on me at the truck.

Back
Top Bottom