• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pick your guns

Keep the slug gun, cuz you said it's your favorite.
Keep one lever gun. No preference between .30-30 and .35 Rem.
Keep the .243 for the for wife, for any guests you want to take hunting who don't own a suitable rifle, and for taking new (usually recoil-sensitive) shooters to the range to let them get some practice in with a scoped bolt action hunting rifle.

That leaves one other scoped bolt action big game rifle for yourself, as your primary hunting weapon for distances of 150-350 yards.
I would say I have no preference among the following four calibers as long as you like the rifles themselves, the actions are smooth, the trigger pulls crisp, and the barrels shoot accurately, especially their first shot from a cold bore.

Toss a coin and pick any of these:
.270 Win
7mm-08
.30-06
7mm Rem mag.

I only have FOUR (4) dedicated hunting or sporting long guns in my collection, not counting .22lr plinkers.

Savage 111 in .243 caliber with 3x-9x scope.

Rem. 700 heavy barrel varmint gun in .223 (slow twist, for light bullets only).

Marlin 882 stainless & synthetic .22 WMR for coyotes or groundhogs in suburban areas where the noise of a .223 is too much.

Mossberg 500 with two barrels, including a rifle-sighted slug bbl (smoothbore) that is quite accurate at 50 yds. The other bbl is a long vent rib one that used sets of choke tubes.

FINALLY, I have one larger caliber rifle which is not dedicated to only being a hunting gun, but it also serves as a CMP high power service rifle in competitions, and with a stack of 20 round magazines handy it serves as my 2nd amendment freedom-protecting weapon for community defense and popular militia use.
That's my Speingfield Armory M1A in .308. It wears a scope and has a 10 round magazine, usually not fully loaded, when I am using it in the deer hunting role.

I am pretty happy with my choices. Unless I am invited to hunt brown bear in Alaska, or unless I try to go after elk or bighorn sheep out West, where you might have to shoot 500 yards across the canyon with a stiff crosswind, I don't think I would need to acquire another firearm for any hunting scenario.

if I felt that I wanted to have one more hunting rifle in my collection I would probably get either a 7 mm Remington mag or a 300 Winchester mag, but I really don't see myself using it, living here in the southeast where I hunt.

Back
Top Bottom