• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pinhole leak in copper water pipe

Interesting take.

Still interested to hear back from the og poster.

Where is the pinhole leak at? That old grey poly **** gets pin hole leaks almost always eventually.

Not really heard much of copper leaking except at joints.
It's in copper. What I'm probably going to do is cut the section and replace it with new pipe and shark bites. How hard is that? I read that there's not a lot of slop there. Isn't it the length you cut minus two inches or something like that? It's 3/4 inch copper.
I kind of am lucky here--half my house was an add-on and the other I have access to most of it through the basement.

There were a few years in particular where the copper pipe was very thin walled. Age, minerals in the water from a well, and with high water pressure increase the likelihood of leaks. The pipe corrodes from the inside out. the pinhole is just the first spot where it broke through. as others have suggested, re-plumbing with pex is the solution.

There were a few years in particular where the copper pipe was very thin walled. Age, minerals in the water from a well, and with high water pressure increase the likelihood of leaks. The pipe corrodes from the inside out. the pinhole is just the first spot where it broke through. as others have suggested, re-plumbing with pex is the solution.
That's what I'm likely going to have to do

Not necessarily copper, but some water has more corrosive qualities to it.
Seems that the area around johnson ferry and roswell road has more than their fair share of pin holes !
The other resson pin holes happen is due to corrosive flux used during the 70’s and 80’s. 80/90% of the leaks are on cold water pipes and there is residue flux left inside when we cut pipe out and inspect them The hot water melts the flux and disparate the flux. Cobb get their water from 2 sources Altoona and a reservoir fed by the Chattachoche East Cobb is fed by the hooche Where the water is treated differently.

The china pipe had a orange stripe (not red)on the pipe but, still had ’M’ printed on the pipe.

Not necessarily copper, but some water has more corrosive qualities to it.
Seems that the area around johnson ferry and roswell road has more than their fair share of pin holes !
That part of the county gets their water off the chatchoee not Altoona like the rest of Cobb

It's in copper. What I'm probably going to do is cut the section and replace it with new pipe and shark bites. How hard is that? I read that there's not a lot of slop there. Isn't it the length you cut minus two inches or something like that? It's 3/4 inch copper.
I kind of am lucky here--half my house was an add-on and the other I have access to most of it through the basement.
Shark bites are expensive

They actually make a "slip coupling" that you slide farther onto the pipe then slide it back the other direction on the repair pipe. Handy if there is no play in the pipe where you can slide it back and forth to make the repair.

They actually make a "slip coupling" that you slide farther onto the pipe then slide it back the other direction on the repair pipe. Handy if there is no play in the pipe where you can slide it back and forth to make the repair.
I saw that. If this doesn't work I will use that. How much pipe goes into the 3/4 shark bite?

Back
Top Bottom