• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

pistol powder

>What bullet weight for 9mm and powder weight for bullet with Titegroup ? Thanks.

I'm sorry, but have you fired any 9x19 before? It comes in 115gn, 124gn and 147gn.
So, what bullet weight—for what purpose?
Accuracy: 115 and 124gn, generally
Action Pistol: 147gn for minor and 115gn for Major
Self-Defense: Personal opinion--I go with 115-124gn JHP
Plinking: L-SWC of 115-124gn works great.

TiteGroup? See any loading manual, but Hodgdon will have data in their manual and on their web site.
Unless you have the exact same gun and components I have, my loads may not work well for you.

I shoot and reload for 9mm. Why would you question whether I have ever shot a 9x19 before? I was only curious as to what you shoot with Titegroup. I see you shoot JHP, so you probably have never alloyed and shot cast bullets.

First, your question sounded like you hadn't loaded 9x19 before and wanted someone to hand you a "recipe". You just ask for a bullet weight and a charge weight for 9x19 and TiteGroup, with no hint of what you are trying to achieve. Not a question I expect from an experienced reloader. Sorry.
Note though that I did try to get you to clarify what you want.
Note my plinking suggestion. I spent about 36 years ONLY shooting lead bullets in all my handguns, including 9x19s and, for almost all that time, they were ones I cast. I found that the most accurate bullets were as-cast, not sized (running ~0.357"). Most accurate style was L-SWC, followed by FP. RN trailed and I haven't shot any in about 30 years.
Alloy? 10-13BHN is all you need for any 9x19. Heck, 13 BHN was all I needed for .44 Mag max loads in a T/C Contender (without gas check). Fit and lube trumps alloy.
The Lee 358-102-SWCs I cast worked great, but not accurate in every gun.
SAECO #925 115gn SWC mold was excellent.
Lyman 147gn 356637 did OK, but not as well as lighter bullets.
If nothing else works, try the RCBS 9mm-124-CN. Didn't find it as accurate as the 115gn SWCs, but it fed over a wider range of COL.
When I moved about 10 years ago, I moved into an active adult community that would have had a heart attack if I tried casting bullets. Since I am now OLD, it didn't bother me and I sold my casting equipment.
Penn and, the now dead, MasterBlaster make/made great 115gn L-SWCs that worked well in all my 9x19s, including two P-08s from the '30s and two WWII P-38s. This is a popular weight for folks shooting NRA Precision Pistol (used to be Bullseye) and 9x19. Despite working well, I just seem to always drift back to 121-125gn bullets.
Missouri Bullets makes a very good 124gn L-SWC, and would probably be all I would be shooting, except...
About 8 years ago, I suddenly noticed that jacketed prices were almost exactly the same as cast lead prices (something like 7.3 cents/bullet vs 7.0 cents/bullet) and stocked up on Montana Gold and Zero JHP bullets.
Zero makes a 121gn and a 125gn 38 Super JHPs that are very accurate in my 9x19s. I find that 0.356-0.357" jacketed bullets tend to be more accurate than 0.355" jacketed.
I find powders slower than AA5 are most accurate, but I was recently in contact with someone who claimed to get 2" groups at 50 yards with their custom gun and TiteGroup.

Thanks for your information. I should have clarified my shooting objectives. I appreciate you taking the time to explain each bullets accuracy. This gives me information that I didn't have. According to the information that I have on Titegroup, 3.5 grains should be around 985 fps. I have a 09-130-RNFB mold by Magma Engineering. So, since 10-13 BHN hardness is all I need, I'm alloying to a hardness of 18 BNH. Sounds like this is much harder than I need. I use 10 lbs. of pure lead to 5 lbs. linotype for alloy. I was shooting straight wheel weight alloy that worked as well. I will try the 115gn L-SWC's. Many thanks for your information. If you think of any other information that I could use, please don't hesitate to send me an email. Jerry

I love my titegroup for 9mm and 40 as well. 1# will last well over 1K rounds.

How well does Titegroup meter through the powder dispenser? I use a RCBS Uniflow. Ball powders meter consistently, but flake powders like 700-X throw inconsistently. 700-X is easier to find, so I have a bunch of it. I just have to measure each throw on the scale to assure consistency.

Thanks, Bayou

How well does Titegroup meter through the powder dispenser? I use a RCBS Uniflow. Ball powders meter consistently, but flake powders like 700-X throw inconsistently. 700-X is easier to find, so I have a bunch of it. I just have to measure each throw on the scale to assure consistency.

Thanks, Bayou
It meters great for me. I give it 2 taps on the down throw so I get consistent packing.

Back
Top Bottom