• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pistol purchase from another state, but from a GA resident...

spistols

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
310   0
Reaction score
Curious question- what if I want to buy a pistol, say from a soldier stationed in another state, but is a resident of GA. If I am there physcially, and will be able to drive back, can I legally buy the pistol from him/her, in another state, and then drive back with it?

Could be a bill of sale, or whatever that state requires. Not sure how that plays out with transfer requirements if both people are not of that state, and the state requires it.

A soldier is considered a resident of both his home state and the state he's residing in temporarily while assigned to a military post, right? This is one of those rare cases were the law of "residency" is not exactly the same as one's domicile. An active-duty military person can have dual residency for gun law purposes, but not more than one "domicile."

So, can a resident of Georgia meet another resident of Georgia and do a F.T.F. gun sale in some other state?
Suppose I travel to a gun show in Chattanooga, TN and there encounter a fellow from Valdosta, Ga, with a privately-owned gun for sale? Yeah, could buy that gun. I'm a GA resident. He's a GA resident. We don't have to be physically located in GA to make this work.

Suppose two friends from GA went elk hunting in Wyoming for a week.
During that trip, one hunter agreed to sell his back-up gun, a .357 revolver, to his buddy. The deal takes place in a hunting cabin in Wyoming, but it's between two Georgia residents.

I don't see a problem. Not under federal law, or GA law.

A soldier is considered a resident of both his home state and the state he's residing in temporarily while assigned to a military post, right? This is one of those rare cases were the law of "residency" is not exactly the same as one's domicile. An active-duty military person can have dual residency for gun law purposes, but not more than one "domicile."

So, can a resident of Georgia meet another resident of Georgia and do a F.T.F. gun sale in some other state?
Suppose I travel to a gun show in Chattanooga, TN and there encounter a fellow from Valdosta, Ga, with a privately-owned gun for sale? Yeah, could buy that gun. I'm a GA resident. He's a GA resident. We don't have to be physically located in GA to make this work.

Suppose two friends from GA went elk hunting in Wyoming for a week.
During that trip, one hunter agreed to sell his back-up gun, a .357 revolver, to his buddy. The deal takes place in a hunting cabin in Wyoming, but it's between two Georgia residents.

I don't see a problem. Not under federal law, or GA law.
Yeah I think this is right.

Back
Top Bottom