• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Plumbing with pex. Tips tricks and advice, step on in .

Guess I'm old school. But at this time I wouldn't use PEX, I'd use copper. I worked in residential construction for 40yrs. I've seen the old poly, copper and PEX. I've seen them all fail, but copper is by far the strongest and most reliable

Then there’s this
Those statements by Plumbing Express are scare tactics. Does PEX have deficiencies? Yes, so does copper and the CPVC they recommend. PEX has been in use in Europe for over 50 years and approved in this country fo ~30+ years. Biggest failure on pex is running too small of hot water recirculating line and having a pump too big without an aqua sat. I have installed thousands of miles of Uponor PEX with no known issues. I installing 250 of 1 1/2” underground Monday and another 700’ of 2” the following week
there are some class action law suits on certain manufacture‘s of PEX one being Nibco who no longer is in the PEX market. JMHO.

Those statements by Plumbing Express are scare tactics. Does PEX have deficiencies? Yes, so does copper and the CPVC they recommend. PEX has been in use in Europe for over 50 years and approved in this country fo ~30+ years. Biggest failure on pex is running too small of hot water recirculating line and having a pump too big without an aqua sat. I have installed thousands of miles of Uponor PEX with no known issues. I installing 250 of 1 1/2” underground Monday and another 700’ of 2” the following week
there are some class action law suits on certain manufacture‘s of PEX one being Nibco who no longer is in the PEX market. JMHO.
I knew a lot of plumbers who said the same about polybutylene. Most use it because it’s quicker and doesn’t require measuring, fitting, and soldering skills. Time is money.
I wouldn’t use PEX for the simple reason everything has to be a home run. Saw a house being piped with it, looked like a huge bowl of colorful spaghetti.
JMO

I knew a lot of plumbers who said the same about polybutylene. Most use it because it’s quicker and doesn’t require measuring, fitting, and soldering skills. Time is money.
I wouldn’t use PEX for the simple reason everything has to be a home run. Saw a house being piped with it, looked like a huge bowl of colorful spaghetti.
JMO
PEX has been around and proven a lot longer than Polybutylene. You do not need to do a home runs on PEX it can be installed the same as any other water distribution system. Although doing a home run system, no matter the material, is nice but requires a lot more material and valves most property owners don't want to spend money on.

My father in law had his house built around 30 yrs ago. He has had to constantly fix copper lines for the last 15 yrs, most he could fix with a shark bite, but some inside of walls he couldn’t. Problems include pinholes, leaking fittings, or splitting. All of it can fell…….

My father in law had his house built around 30 yrs ago. He has had to constantly fix copper lines for the last 15 yrs, most he could fix with a shark bite, but some inside of walls he couldn’t. Problems include pinholes, leaking fittings, or splitting. All of it can fell…….
Does your father live in east Cobb?

West Paulding
Cobb County has issues with copper pin holing. We recommend using a water neutralizer system like the ones used on well water. That seems to help naturalize and stop the pin holing. If his leaks are on cold water only I would suggest having the lines cross connected to the hot water (temporally) and flush out the old flux from 30 years ago. We have found acid based flux in the cold water lines that have pin holed never flushed out and just sat there and ate away at the copper. Now days flux is water based with no acid. JMHO

Back
Top Bottom