• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pool owners. Pump replacement?

Thanks guys. Will definitely try to find those numbers in the morning.

It's fresh water. I have no idea why but there are almost no saltwater pools here. Central Texas. Something about the salt eventually causing issues with hardscape on waterfalls and decking. No clue. I would much rather have salt water. I asked around about conversion and every single person responded the same way. You don't want to do that. :noidea:
I may just fill the thing with catfish and be done with it. 😎
Lot of limestone in Central Texas and there have been reports of deterioration of the softer stones when used with a salt water chlorine generator. No first hand experience, but there are many posts about it on the pool forums.

Not sure about a Catfish pond, but a home in my sister's neighborhood had a large Koi pond.
It was beautiful, but keeping the predators out was a significant task :D

See if you can match the part numbers stamped on the strainer cover, strainer basket and the impeller to the parts listed on some of the on-line vendor websites.

The impeller has "SP3210C" on it but all parts at that link start with SPX.... Including an SPX3210C. But that's a 1hp pump?
Strainer show AC65331 which Google comes up empty and the strainer cover shows SP32000 which I guess is either TriStar or Ecostar. :noidea:

After developing a noise and some power up glitches over the summer it appears the pool pump motor has gone TU. Just called for a quote on a replacement pump and was floored at the $3,800 number. If anybody has done this themselves, be interested to hear your experience. Just the motor, (assuming it's just the motor and not the pump) can be purchased online for under $600. The swap looks fairly easy. But the tech I talked to mentioned that the high heat, which it definitely generated as it was failing, has a high likelihood of having damaged the pump parts, impeller etc. so they normally replace both. No idea if he was selling or being honest. (What I do know is I don't need some fancy variable speed Bluetooth controled $3,800 pump.)
Anyway, any experience?
3800.00 should be reported to the BBB. what brand pump do you have?

I wish I could get rid of mine! But it's in ground. A pool was one of the main things I said I did not want! :frusty:
Can't wait to pass it along to the next sucker, I mean proud homeowner.
I would not replace the motor and seal. I would buy the pump and motor complete and be good for probably 5-8 years. All you have to deal with is possibly a little piping and wiring the new unit.

The impeller has "SP3210C" on it but all parts at that link start with SPX.... Including an SPX3210C. But that's a 1hp pump?
Strainer show AC65331 which Google comes up empty and the strainer cover shows SP32000 which I guess is either TriStar or Ecostar. :noidea:
Based on the strainer cover it would appear to be a SP3200x series pump.
According to the spec sheet, the SP-3210C impeller is used on both the 1 hp and 1 1/2 HP SP3200X pumps so that matches as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This kit indicates it works with the following:
  • All Hayward Tristar/TriStar VSP/EcoStar 1/2 HP - 3 HP single and dual speed models.
  • All Hayward SP3200 Series Pumps
  • Works on both standard efficiency and energy efficient Hayward Tristar/EcoStar pumps

*Would send an e-mail to a couple of vendors to verify :)

Based on the strainer cover it would appear to be a SP3200x series pump.
According to the spec sheet, the SP-3210C impeller is used on both the 1 hp and 1 1/2 HP SP3200X pumps so that matches as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This kit indicates it works with the following:
  • All Hayward Tristar/TriStar VSP/EcoStar 1/2 HP - 3 HP single and dual speed models.
  • All Hayward SP3200 Series Pumps
  • Works on both standard efficiency and energy efficient Hayward Tristar/EcoStar pumps

*Would send an e-mail to a couple of vendors to verify :)
Ordered this. https://a.co/d/bxrbbEZ
If it doesn't work I'm blaming you. 😜

Also ordered the same motor off of eBay for $450. If if I get it installed without electrocuting myself, and it works, I'll be back in business for around 500 bucks. Really appreciate all the help from everyone. I'll follow up when everything arives and I tackle it.

Looking forward to a follow up post showing it running or... sparks and flames :shocked: :p

There are multiple videos to show the repair process step by step.
Take your time and take pictures before you remove any of the wiring.
Move one wire at a time if it makes you more comfortable.
Remove each of the gaskets and the o-ring and replace them one by one.
Take a picture of the shaft seal. It is about the only part that you could theoretically put on backwards.
The entire job should take about an hour.

You are saving yourself $3,300 :cool:

Looking forward to a follow up post showing it running or... sparks and flames :shocked: :p

Take a picture of the shaft seal before you remove it. It is about the only part that you could theoretically put on backwards.

Already pulled motor the other day so survived round one. Can't imagine gasket replacement is too involved but I'll try and find idiot proof videos.

Take a picture of the shaft seal before you remove it. It is about the only part that you could theoretically put on backwards.

What he said.

Don’t let the smoke out, it’s near impossible to get it back in.

GeauxLSU GeauxLSU
Reviving this thread as we are starting summer. Im sure a lot of people are getting their pools ready. I didnt see this in October but I figure it's summer time again. People will need motors

I picked up the same motor you had which is a 2HP rated from North Atlanta electric motor for 250. Im bringing mine back to him to have it rebuild to near new condition for another $100 or so. I didnt want to have any down time so I bought a motor so that I can swap out. If you have the time, you can drop off your motor and he can turn it around in a day.

Great people to work with.
4945 Atlanta Hwy, Alpharetta, GA 30004

Back
Top Bottom