• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Post up your reviews - Favorite BBQ restaurant?

What type of BBQ is best?

• Chicken

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Pulled/chopped pork

Votes: 58 41.1%
  • Pork ribs

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • Beef ribs

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • BBQ beef

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • BBQ Tacos

• I’m a vegan save the animals

• BBQ brisket

Votes: 51 36.2%

• Total voters
Just finished eating at Dreamland BBQ in Roswell. Went for lunch and when I got there, had to wait about five minutes for a table. Always fun going at 12:00 lol. Ordered the combination plate, white meat chicken on the bone, ribs and my two sides were baked beans and chocolate dream, yes I like desserts lol, and washed it down with a Coke Zero.

Food came out nice and hot, ribs were freaking great, chicken was good too, especially with the dipping sauce. Bread is sunbeam which isn’t special but it’s good with the dipping sauce too. Chocolate Dream was heaven. Every time I’ve eaten over at this location it’s been very good. Duluth location has been hit or miss.

My girlfriend always gets the sausage or pork and that tastes good too. Some consider the dipping sauce spicy but being from Louisiana, it’s fine by me.

60836B57-8B78-40BB-AC6B-D6FAAB97B35A.jpeg
5A292D2D-FDA0-498E-BA55-1079CE6AA927.jpeg
2D0D9EBF-123D-4FE0-A583-40487D23D64B.jpeg
8E2D546B-9748-4FA8-AC32-43AF2E880809.jpeg

Only one stop today. I can feel pork fat coming out of my pores. Have to take it easy. Walls Jr is home from school so we stayed close to home. There is a new place in Athens I ‘ve wanted to try : Tamez Barbecue, on Atlanta Highway.
B989AD3B-B87C-4B5D-9668-D7C02A9286A7.jpeg

This location is cursed. It’s been 5 different restaurants over the past few years: another bbq place, Preserve (which was fantastic) a vegan/veggie to go stand, a fish shack, and now Tamez. It’s tiny. Like, 3 seats inside tiny. A few picnic tables scattered around the parking lot. They have a to-go window and do brisk take out business.
The smoker is on the side for all the world to see, under a covered awning next to the tables. A big ole stack of wood is there as well.

BFD12297-A36E-4E55-B4F6-3718EA8BCCA9.jpeg
The folks are nice enough. The kid and I ordered. Told the server/Qtender/manager/lady behind the counter we wanted it to go but would sit and eat outside. From order to delivery was about 4 minutes. She brought it out to us with napkins, spoons, etc.
The menu is limited, but hits the basics. Except for Brunswick stew. Ain’t no stew. So, I fell off the pulled pork wagon and ordered a brisket sandwich. I had to mix it up a little, and since it’s a Texas style place I figured the brisket would be a good test.

Brisket sandwich and collards for me, pulled pork sandwich for the kid. Sides are extra. 2 sauces to choose from: tangy or original.

The original sauce is sort of tangy on its own. Sweet, smoky, tangy, peppery. If there were a BBQ version of Chinese sweet & sour sauce this would be it. It know that sounds like ****, but the sauce was pretty good. It all balances well. The meat is good enough it didnt’ need sauce anyway.
Brisket sandwich: oh baby, how I’ve missed brisket. Melt in your mouth tender. Nice fat cap left on, the bark was delicious. Seriously good brisket. The bun is from a local bakery and griddled, and pickles! Not overly done, but pickled with apple cider vinegar.
E1A1BE82-084E-4971-A53F-06F43058F8E9.jpeg

Pulled Pork was very good also. Good flavor, moist and tender, big stringy bits of pork, not chopped to death. The bun held up well to both meats and lots of sauce.
868752D2-1A69-4495-987E-00CC41FBCCE7.jpeg

The collards were ok. They needed some salt I thought. Texture was good, a tiny bit of spice added along with onion and garlic. Not too much fat added to the pot. Just a bit under seasoned. All in all its a good place. Especially for Athens where we have a lot of below average barbecue. This place may be the best one in town.
B647B9DB-78CD-4EB1-A5E9-DCE0C3414E1E.jpeg A2BEB5C9-8B86-4EF7-B5B2-DC6DF4CF9117.jpeg 10D888AE-EB0C-4A8A-A59C-BBDED141B8D8.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 19
  • C8AC0874-C5FD-4BAF-AD4A-92A17B216012.jpeg
    C8AC0874-C5FD-4BAF-AD4A-92A17B216012.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 19
Only one stop today. I can feel pork fat coming out of my pores. Have to take it easy. Walls Jr is home from school so we stayed close to home. There is a new place in Athens I ‘ve wanted to try : Tamez Barbecue, on Atlanta Highway.
View attachment 3065673

This location is cursed. It’s been 5 different restaurants over the past few years: another bbq place, Preserve (which was fantastic) a vegan/veggie to go stand, a fish shack, and now Tamez. It’s tiny. Like, 3 seats inside tiny. A few picnic tables scattered around the parking lot. They have a to-go window and do brisk take out business.
The smoker is on the side for all the world to see, under a covered awning next to the tables. A big ole stack of wood is there as well.

View attachment 3065681
The folks are nice enough. The kid and I ordered. Told the server/Qtender/manager/lady behind the counter we wanted it to go but would sit and eat outside. From order to delivery was about 4 minutes. She brought it out to us with napkins, spoons, etc.
The menu is limited, but hits the basics. Except for Brunswick stew. Ain’t no stew. So, I fell off the pulled pork wagon and ordered a brisket sandwich. I had to mix it up a little, and since it’s a Texas style place I figured the brisket would be a good test.

Brisket sandwich and collards for me, pulled pork sandwich for the kid. Sides are extra. 2 sauces to choose from: tangy or original.

The original sauce is sort of tangy on its own. Sweet, smoky, tangy, peppery. If there were a BBQ version of Chinese sweet & sour sauce this would be it. It know that sounds like ****, but the sauce was pretty good. It all balances well. The meat is good enough it didnt’ need sauce anyway.
Brisket sandwich: oh baby, how I’ve missed brisket. Melt in your mouth tender. Nice fat cap left on, the bark was delicious. Seriously good brisket. The bun is from a local bakery and griddled, and pickles! Not overly done, but pickled with apple cider vinegar.
View attachment 3065705
Pulled Pork was very good also. Good flavor, moist and tender, big stringy bits of pork, not chopped to death. The bun held up well to both meats and lots of sauce.
View attachment 3065714
The collards were ok. They needed some salt I thought. Texture was good, a tiny bit of spice added along with onion and garlic. Not too much fat added to the pot. Just a bit under seasoned. All in all its a good place. Especially for Athens where we have a lot of below average barbecue. This place may be the best one in town.
View attachment 3065718 View attachment 3065721 View attachment 3065719

There was a pretty nice review of this place in the Athens paper (FWIW).
Will have to swing by there and get some brisket.

If you're in the Canton area, hit up Four 41 South BBQ. Newer place, but they're doing it right. I've had the ribs, pork, and brisket, all really good.

One of my favorites for brisket was the Wicked Pig in Clayton (NE Ga). He had the best I've ever had. He had a killer Alabama white sauce, I could put it on my boot and eat it! Sadly, he closed about 2 years ago.

If you're in the Canton area, hit up Four 41 South BBQ. Newer place, but they're doing it right. I've had the ribs, pork, and brisket, all really good.

One of my favorites for brisket was the Wicked Pig in Clayton (NE Ga). He had the best I've ever had. He had a killer Alabama white sauce, I could put it on my boot and eat it! Sadly, he closed about 2 years ago.
Thanks for the tip. I’ll check it out!

Back
Top Bottom