• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Preppers, have you upped your tempo?

Yes. I keep 55 gallons of gas in a drum, with stabilizer, non-ethanol, rotated every 4-6 months. I keep my truck tank (34 gallons) topped off. I make my family keep all their vehicles topped off. If I had a week's lead time, I have two more gasoline drums I could have filled. I get my non-ethanol gasoline at Sam's Club in Macon. I have a 7000 running watt generator. I keep seed and fertilizer on hand, and keep a 55 gallon drum of diesel fuel on hand. I could make 55 gallons of diesel last a long time (two or three years) just planting a two or three acre garden each year with my 35hp tractor. I have goats on pasture, going to get some pigs. My brother has calves on pasture. I will dig sweet potatoes, cure them, and store for the winter very soon. I will plant turnips and collards within the month. There is no reason for someone in the rural Deep South to go hungry with just a little planning. Of course, this assumes that there isn't a horde of Zombies to deal with while planting and gathering. I do have just a few firearms, and a little bit of ammo. Not all kept at one spot. My single-shot shotgun and Ruger .22 pistol are at one place. My single-shot .22 rifle and Model 10 S&W are at another place. I have two boxes of ammo for each firearm at each place. At least. Maybe three boxes.

I am thinking sooner or later the horde of Zombies WILL show up... and it would be a shame as you seem well prepared enough to maintain for an extended period of time... except in the Zombie protection department...

Just Sayin...

Outdoorsman

And stay away from prepared meals like Mountain House stuff. I do anyways, just because I would rather make my own recipes, but all of Mtn Houses stuff contains gluten (according to them).

I like this guy.
I am waiting for a couple major changes in my life to happen in the next month or two and then I will be in a posistion to do tons more. I am still considering going to restaurant depot over in norcross and picking up another 50lb bag of rice, and 50lbs of beans and vacuum sealing them and thowing them in home depot buckets. . .
We'll see.

btw, JSquared I think i met you at the Sandy springs range and commented on your Tan AR i saw on a post.

I plan to dig another well...I need one anyhow for my RV Park and I want to put a Bison type handpump along with with electric pump for back-up...gotta have water! Other than that, we've been constantly prepping for at least 10 years...nothing's really changed except for all the xtra fuel we've stored...it's just a way of life for us good ole southern boyz who farm & like to fish & hunt for days at a time!

I like this guy.
I am waiting for a couple major changes in my life to happen in the next month or two and then I will be in a posistion to do tons more. I am still considering going to restaurant depot over in norcross and picking up another 50lb bag of rice, and 50lbs of beans and vacuum sealing them and thowing them in home depot buckets. . .
We'll see.

btw, JSquared I think i met you at the Sandy springs range and commented on your Tan AR i saw on a post.

Yep that was me! Nice to meet you again online, small world :)

I like this guy.
We'll see.

Ahh you have access to the Restaurant Depot as well....doing the same thing except I am adding oxygen absorbers and bay leaves before I seal and pack. Pleasant Hill Grain has some pretty good prices on corn.

take out wheat. add rice and corn. done.

It's not that simple. Many every day foods have minute quantities of gluten in them in the form of Modified Food Starch and other ingredients. The best bet is to read the ingredients on every single thing you buy and prepare. That's how we do it at our house. We do shop at Green Life Grocery and Harry's market for lots of Gluten free things like Pizza crusts, Breads and other things. Things like Canned Chicken, you'd think was gluten free. If it says Modified Food Starch on it, then we put it back on the grocery store shelf. We get things like Quinoa Pasta, rice pasta and Udi's bread products and pizza crusts. A safe bet is fresh meats and fresh vegetables. These things are not readily available in an emergency. Eating even 1/8 of a teaspoon of Gluten can cause intestinal problems that can last as long as 3 weeks. It's not just intestinal problems and stinky bowels, the main symptom of Celiac Disease or Gluten intolerance is that your body will not absorb nutrition during this time. Also Cilia in your intestines can and will be permanently damaged.

One additional note, Kroger in Dalton has started carrying a lot of Gluten Free foods because we ask them to. That's considerate of them.

Last edited:
It's not that simple. Many every day foods have minute quantities of gluten in them in the form of Modified Food Starch and other ingredients. The best bet is to read the ingredients on every single thing you buy and prepare. That's how we do it at our house. We do shop at Green Life Grocery and Harry's market for lots of Gluten free things like Pizza crusts, Breads and other things. Things like Canned Chicken, you'd think was gluten free. If it says Modified Food Starch on it, then we put it back on the grocery store shelf. We get things like Quinoa Pasta, rice pasta and Udi's bread products and pizza crusts. A safe bet is fresh meats and fresh vegetables. These things are not readily available in an emergency. Eating even 1/8 of a teaspoon of Gluten can cause intestinal problems that can last as long as 3 weeks. It's not just intestinal problems and stinky bowels, the main symptom of Celiac Disease or Gluten intolerance is that your body will not absorb nutrition during this time. Also Cilia in your intestines can and will be permanently damaged.

One additional note, Kroger in Dalton has started carrying a lot of Gluten Free foods because we ask them to. That's considerate of them.

My house is gluten/casein free. we just read labels and try not to replace the products. it has helped everyones health alot!
meats, fruits, and veggies are pretty much it. we do make tostadas and tacos (corn tortillas)

For right now I have just been trying to store away enough supplies to last a year at least. I haven't gotten into the bulk long term storage for food items but that will probably come after deployment.
I have aquired a couple more guns, and am trying to pick up more ammunition.
I've been trying to follow a rule that I saw on here awhile back. Where you first make sure you have a certain amount of food and then match all of your other supplies to that.
So for instance if i have three days worth of food then i get three days worth of ammunition, and gas etc...

I'm feeling the pressure to get everything as fast as possible, while still trying to maintain the finances.

Back
Top Bottom