• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Preppers, have you upped your tempo?

And stay away from prepared meals like Mountain House stuff. I do anyways, just because I would rather make my own recipes, but all of Mtn Houses stuff contains gluten (according to them).[/QUOTE

Can anyone point me to some decent recipes of meals to store long term? I've got a dehydrator and a vacuum sealer and wanted the start putting away some food instead of just buying up a bunch of canned goods. I picked up a couple of backpacking cookbooks, but the recipes sounded pretty awful. I like the idea of being able to rehydrate a complete meal with boiling water instead of having to use individual components to make a meal.

Has anyone built an old school smoke house yet? That's still on my list...

Still got one from the old day's that is fully functional. We don't smoke sausage anymore but we still still salt cure ham's and bacon every year. Nothing better than fresh country ham.

Well i just ordered my first set of mylar bags, and o2 absorbers. 20 of each. And bought 40lbs of rice, 20 lbs of beans, 10 of elbow macaroni, 20 of sugar, 3 of salt, and some chicken bouillion for flavor. I will just package them up and then throw them into a tupperware tub and store it in a closet that i have set up for LTS.

BTW does anyone know of a place close to columbus where i could get food/water grade 55gal drums for cheap?

Yes, we've upped our tempo pretty dramatically over the past year. I started the whole prepper thing but my wife is actually the one who is starting to push us harder. Food stores - several months worth, goal is for one year (family of 6). We're expanding our garden, although not too much as we're leasing our home. It's more of a learning experience to see what grows in our local GA climate. Putting extra cash and PMs away. Starting to get into tradable items that can be stored for years but still hold value if nothing happens.

Our next focus is buying home with a land or just the raw land (or we'll reduce our acerage target in exchange for a community of like minded preppers where security and community contribution is a focus). We hope to close on a deal by next summer. Seems difficult to find something with a year round creek or decent well on it. We're planning to be at least 60 miles out from Atlanta.

I had some great job offers come in from across the US - but two were in states with unreasonable gun control laws. GA seemed like a great place to settle down, so here we are! Currently in the Woodstock area.

Last edited:
Glad to have you Chris, good luck on the prepping and land shopping. I am also looking at purchasing a dozen acres or so soon but bank terms for land lots and unimproved parcels are ridiculous. Going to have to shop around more personally and find a lender willing to deal.

Yes, we're finding the same thing. We're thinking about going in with other like minded people to purchase a larger lot of land and splitting up the payment responsibility but still in the "talking" stages about it. I'd actually prefer to just deal with a bank but credit restrictions are ridiculous these days and the requirments seem to change weekly - it's easier just to save the cash and buy it outright. We're also looking at homes in communities with a healthy population of preppers willing to commit to common food production and defense. Those exist, but aren't easy to find.

I know exactly where youre at with that. Currently Im scouting around for any property with an improved structure, just to move the loan from an acreage loan to a mortgage. Still having a hard time since improved structure/paved access/city utilities/proper zoning are exactly what Im NOT looking for. Hard to find a happy medium.

Don't forget to go drive around in areas you would like to be in. Many times you can find a FSBO plat that the owner will finance for 10 years. As far as improvements, there is no reason to not get something with electric and water available. At least you would have that until stuff really went south. Finding something with no zoning at all, is dang near impossible in GA, at least as far as I have seen so far.

Back
Top Bottom