• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Probable cause when a firearm is in the car

I usually keep mine in the top glovebox, when I'm stopped the first thing I say is that I have my pistol in the glovebox and that I'm going to step out and let him clear it. They appreciate that. If I'm carrying concealed I'll notify them usually first thing, step out and let them unholster me and clear the weapon. These guys have a job to do and they don't know you from Jones the crackhead. Just be upfront with them and you're good to go.

Was it a DUI road block or what? What was the first thing he asked? Did they stop every car and request a search?

A road block is different that a singular stop. If they treat ALL (or I believe some pattern, every other for example) the people the courts give them more leeway. If they singled you out (not stop all the cars) they have a higher standard of reasonable suspicion to meet. If it's a singular traffic stop the standard is also a little bit higher.

You also need to remind the cop that he needs reasonable suspicion to take your firearm and that the presence of a gun is in itself not a valid reason. Especially if you tell him you have a GFL.

I usually keep mine in the top glovebox, when I'm stopped the first thing I say is that I have my pistol in the glovebox and that I'm going to step out and let him clear it. They appreciate that. If I'm carrying concealed I'll notify them usually first thing, step out and let them unholster me and clear the weapon. These guys have a job to do and they don't know you from Jones the crackhead. Just be upfront with them and you're good to go.

NOT ALWAYS THE CASE. If you trust every cop enough to handle & clear every gun manufactured you are asking for trouble. Some cops only know how to manipulate their service weapon, if that, as proof by some stories I've read lately. Also not every cop respects citizens who carry, some "go off". GA is not a "must inform state" so everyone needs to decide for themselves.

I usually let them know I have one so quick draw McGraw doesn't put one in me when I reach for my license and insurance just don't want to be shot by a trigger happy noob or anything

I was stopped by state patrol Tuesday I had my 40 down by my lap he clearly saw it but he was more concerned about my tags and registration .... I even handed him weapons permit lol

Wow!!!!!!,,,No disrespect at all....but.....why would you ever do that??......let a stranger handle your weapon and take one off your person.....my son is a Deputy Sheriff.....even he has told me there are some real "knuckleheads" out there that don't know "jack" about firearms......

Wow!!!!!!,,,No disrespect at all....but.....why would you ever do that??......let a stranger handle your weapon and take one off your person.....my son is a Deputy Sheriff.....even he has told me there are some real "knuckleheads" out there that don't know "jack" about firearms......

That's kind of what I was thinking too. Soviet's HK P7 is something many a shooter/LEO does not frequently come across. I was thinking about how long did it take the officer to drop the mag?

I'm pretty confident that the Oconee Co. Sheriff's deputies can handle a revolver... if not, and he accidentally shoots me in the foot with my own pistol, I get to be a millionaire with a limp :)

State vs Jones...having a gun does not constitute RAS and the officer cannot run the numbers. But that is not the augument I want to have at a roadblock so "I have nothing illegal in the car, am I free to go". Might not hurt to start recording youself during the stop with you cell phone camera.

Back
Top Bottom