• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Probable cause when a firearm is in the car

two years ago me and a friend of mine were leaving a guns show i was pulled over in clayco on the highway i immediately inform the officer i was armed as well as my passenger , his response was well where are the guns ? my answer one on my belt one under the seat one on my passengers belt two in the bag on the backseat and a shotgun in the backseat as well ...........his response surprised me all he said was slowly take the two on your belts place them on the dash and yall please step out because yall have more guns than i do ! he wrote a citation (tint ticket ) and told me that the guns in my car actually helped me today because he was going to impound my car due to the multiple tint tickets i had received in the past 2 years but since i had six loaded weapons in my car he didnt want to do the paperwork lol or let them go to the impound yard and get stolen ..............no search no pat downs just conversation i always immediately inform the officer and hand them my permit and i have never been searched and only asked to exit my vehicle once a little extra info i am a african american male under 30 (a group that is often searched with or without probable cause or permisson ) not that race always plays a factor but it is always in the back of your mind

NOT ALWAYS THE CASE. If you trust every cop enough to handle & clear every gun manufactured you are asking for trouble. Some cops only know how to manipulate their service weapon, if that, as proof by some stories I've read lately. Also not every cop respects citizens who carry, some "go off". GA is not a "must inform state" so everyone needs to decide for themselves.
he is right all cops do not know how to handle your firearm i was pulled over at the border to between arkansas and oklahoma and i had a disassembled s&w sigma .40 in the trunk which i informed the officer about he asked to search i said yes next thing i know he is trying to assemble my gun incorrectly (weird because they assemble together very similar to a glock which he carried )
then he tried to hand it to me ,i wouldn't accept it and i told him to put back the way he found it (no way i am going to on the side of the highway with a gun in my hands "attemping to fix it" lol)

I usually keep mine in the top glovebox, when I'm stopped the first thing I say is that I have my pistol in the glovebox and that I'm going to step out and let him clear it. They appreciate that. If I'm carrying concealed I'll notify them usually first thing, step out and let them unholster me and clear the weapon. These guys have a job to do and they don't know you from Jones the crackhead. Just be upfront with them and you're good to go.

Um...............I don't think Sheriff Berry's Deputies are unholstering law abiding citizens at traffic stops. And if they are, then you ought to call him and let him know. He will take care of it.

Phone: (706) 769-3945

Sheriff Scott Berry sberry@oconeesheriff.org

Last edited:
Ok most know I am in L.E.O., unless the officer can articulate (exigent circumstances)a reason why he needed to clear your weapon for his safety he had no reason going in your car. From the way it sounds he just wanted an excuse to search your car for which he had no right to do without your consent.

I have encountered many people with firearms over the years. Is it common practice to separate the occupants from the firearms, sometimes. It all depends, every stop is different.

Um...............I don't think Sheriff Berry's Deputies are unholstering law abiding citizens at traffic stops. And if they are, then you ought to call him and let him know. He will take care of it.

Phone: (706) 769-3945

Sheriff Scott Berry sberry@oconeesheriff.org

Woah...Pardner.....your reading way too ahead of yourself......no one said anything about Oconee County Deputies, or Oconee County anything.........you need to read s l o w e r....and all the w o r d s........

Woah...Pardner.....your reading way too ahead of yourself......no one said anything about Oconee County Deputies, or Oconee County anything.........you need to read s l o w e r....and all the w o r d s........

I was refering to what heyitsshane said later in the thread. You need to read the whole thread to understand.

I'm pretty confident that the Oconee Co. Sheriff's deputies can handle a revolver... if not, and he accidentally shoots me in the foot with my own pistol, I get to be a millionaire with a limp :)

I was refering to what heyitsshane said later in the thread. You need to read the whole thread to understand.

No.....you need to be on here a little longer and get to know more of the members....my son works for Oconee County and he was taking a "poke" at him when I referred to my son.......the incident never occurred in Oconee County.......

sovietak474u,

This is what you ought to do. Get some business cards printed up with the 4th Amendment on them. The next time this happens and the officer wants to search your vehicle without RAS or PC, tell the officer if he's looking for the 4th Amendment.........it's not hidden in my truck..............it's right here. And hand him your business card. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom