• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

PROFILING!! ...er, maybe not how YOU think.

Whoa!!! A car passed her 15 mins before the LEOs arrived. Man not only did she impede traffic, she created a traffic jam in the SUBDIVISION that looked like not a soul was out. Oh, it's a Class C misdemeanor? Why not haul her in to see what else would happen? I drive around my neighbors walking in the subdivision everyday, if I called the cops on them every time I did that, what time will they have left for fighting REAL crime?!?!

"Provoked by your hard on for LE" - just because I think SOME Cops should be smarter doesn't mean I don't like cops. I didn't say one demeaning thing to Jack AOT or Dennis. We were engaging in a discussion of ideas. You are presuming that you know me, just because my ideas don't agree with yours, they are not biased anti LE opinions. In this particular instance, I actually am on the LEO's side. I just think they should have been smarter and could have avoided all this.

As with all things in life, people capable of judgment lead, people incapable of judgment follow - procedures. The Nazis that herded the Jews into the gas chambers were just following procedures to the T. I most certainly wish ALL LEOs are capable of judgment; it's the ones that are incapable that end up in LE bashing videos.
This is true he did speak very respectfully to us both, I can see his point but at the same time the LEO could of been told to step up patrol in theses areas. They might of gotten a complaint or could be something put out at roll call.

I don't think obiwon had a hostile tone.

Whoa!!! A car passed her 15 mins before the LEOs arrived. Man not only did she impede traffic, she created a traffic jam in the SUBDIVISION that looked like not a soul was out. Oh, it's a Class C misdemeanor? Why not haul her in to see what else would happen? I drive around my neighbors walking in the subdivision everyday, if I called the cops on them every time I did that, what time will they have left for fighting REAL crime?!?!

"Provoked by your hard on for LE" - just because I think SOME Cops should be smarter doesn't mean I don't like cops. I didn't say one demeaning thing to Jack AOT or Dennis. We were engaging in a discussion of ideas. You are presuming that you know me, just because my ideas don't agree with yours, they are not biased anti LE opinions. In this particular instance, I actually am on the LEO's side. I just think they should have been smarter and could have avoided all this.

As with all things in life, people capable of judgment lead, people incapable of judgment follow - procedures. The Nazis that herded the Jews into the gas chambers were just following procedures to the T. I most certainly wish ALL LEOs are capable of judgment; it's the ones that are incapable that end up in LE bashing videos.

Avoided it? So they shouldn't do their job because it might cause a problem or someone might not like it?? So a class 3 misdemeanor isn't worth anyone's time? So why have the law at all? Just because it's a common occurrence doesn't mean it's OK. The law was put into place for a reason and enforcing it is the job of the police whether the violators like it or not.

If the same situation had occurred but it was one of your kids in the street wondering in and out of the traffic lane you feel the same? I'd be glad the police took the time to let them know the danger, advise a safer means of doing the activity rather than just drive on and ignore a possible situation where someone could be injured. That's just me though.

Avoided it? So they shouldn't do their job because it might cause a problem or someone might not like it?? So a class 3 misdemeanor isn't worth anyone's time? So why have the law at all? Just because it's a common occurrence doesn't mean it's OK. The law was put into place for a reason and enforcing it is the job of the police whether the violators like it or not.

If the same situation had occurred but it was one of your kids in the street wondering in and out of the traffic lane you feel the same? I'd be glad the police took the time to let them know the danger, advise a safer means of doing the activity rather than just drive on and ignore a possible situation where someone could be injured. That's just me though.

No, it's really not. Let's be honest: many of these misdemeanors only exist to put money into government coffers. We shouldn't have these laws and I'd rather not see tax dollars wasted towards minor incidents that can and should be handled by private individuals.

See someone walking down the street? Don't agree with it? Go out and talk to them, don't call 911 like a little pansy and report it to the cops. Government shouldn't be your nanny. I don't have kids, but if I did, I wouldn't expect nor want a police officer to "inform" them of anything. That responsibility falls to myself or my family or my neighbors. If we fail, then we fail and whatever happens happens, but I don't need Uncle Sam and his employees "protecting" me or my family.

Besides, this woman is an adult, I think she knows the risks of walking around. If not, that's her mistake and we should all allow Darwin to take it's course.

No, it's really not. Let's be honest: many of these misdemeanors only exist to put money into government coffers. We shouldn't have these laws and I'd rather not see tax dollars wasted towards minor incidents that can and should be handled by private individuals.

See someone walking down the street? Don't agree with it? Go out and talk to them, don't call 911 like a little pansy and report it to the cops. Government shouldn't be your nanny. I don't have kids, but if I did, I wouldn't expect nor want a police officer to "inform" them of anything. That responsibility falls to myself or my family or my neighbors. If we fail, then we fail and whatever happens happens, but I don't need Uncle Sam and his employees "protecting" me or my family.

Besides, this woman is an adult, I think she knows the risks of walking around. If not, that's her mistake and we should all allow Darwin to take it's course.

OK. Great informed response. I stand totally corrected. :rolleyes:

OK. Great informed response. I stand totally corrected. :rolleyes:

So you're arguing for more government? Because this whole limited government thing doesn't just apply at the federal level.

To investigate this "crime", they wasted gas driving to this neighborhood. That's wear and tear on a publicly-funded automobile. If anything happens along the way (like a car crash), public is liable to fund the repairs/claims. It's inefficient government at it's best. And for what? Some old black lady walking around (I'm assuming) a posh white neighborhood? Great way to spend public money, I tell you what. Let a private neighborhood watch deal with it.

There is nothing wrong with enforcing laws, but enforcement for the sake of enforcement is not always worth the financial and human investment. Sometimes these government employees need to use an ounce of common sense. Same way little black boys get killed walking around with BB guns or how an armed standoff escalated because the BLM thought it would be wise to implement a "First Amendment Zone" and taser a female protester.

Again, live and let live.

...If not, that's her mistake and we should all allow Darwin to take it's course.

Except that she may choose to pass the award on to one of your loved ones when a car swerves to miss her and plows, head-on, into your loved one's car traveling in the opposite direction.

...but I don't need Uncle Sam and his employees "protecting" me or my family.

Oh yeah, that's right...

Walking in the middle of a PUBLIC road IS dangerous when you are oblivious to your surroundings. I couldn't see from the video, but I'd be very curious to know if she was wearing headphones.

In case some of you guys lost score; they DIDN'T charge her with anything. They didn't threaten her in any manner. They weren't trying to intimidate her into moving out of the neighborhood. They weren't trying to tax her without representation. They were letting her know that what she was doing was potentially dangerous so that she wouldn't have to be scraped off the pavement at a later date. Might have even saved one of her neighbors some costly body work. Oh yeah, EMS and fire service working the accident scene and court costs for trying the 16yo who hit her while texting her friend about what assholes the local cops are. But I guess THAT is a lot of ifs...

Edit: Confirmed she WAS wearing earbuds and listening to a radio program.

Last edited:
So you're arguing for more government? Because this whole limited government thing doesn't just apply at the federal level.

To investigate this "crime", they wasted gas driving to this neighborhood. That's wear and tear on a publicly-funded automobile. If anything happens along the way (like a car crash), public is liable to fund the repairs/claims. It's inefficient government at it's best. And for what? Some old black lady walking around (I'm assuming) a posh white neighborhood? Great way to spend public money, I tell you what. Let a private neighborhood watch deal with it.

There is nothing wrong with enforcing laws, but enforcement for the sake of enforcement is not always worth the financial and human investment. Sometimes these government employees need to use an ounce of common sense. Same way little black boys get killed walking around with BB guns or how an armed standoff escalated because the BLM thought it would be wise to implement a "First Amendment Zone" and taser a female protester.

Again, live and let live.

Look, I'm former LE and I'll be the last to say we need more government intrusion. I'm only speaking to this particular incident. Regardless of why they were there, fact is, they were there and they witnessed a situation that protocol required them to intervene. She was walking with her back to on-coming traffic and wandering out into the traffic lane endangering herself. They handled it in a professional manner according to policy and moved on. Simple as that.

You do realize police fall under the heading of DPS right (Department of Public Safety)? Yes, they could have said "screw that bitch, let her get hit for being stupid" but instead the chose to do their job. It's her actions that were inappropriate. The officers in this particular situation were following policy and looking out for her safety. Is that something they should have to do? Nope. Are people stupid at times? Yep.

Maybe it's because I grew up in the country and I'm wrong to apply that philosophy to the suburbs, but my hillbilly ass can't comprehend it I guess.

Except that she may choose to pass the award on to one of your loved ones when a car swerves to miss her and plows, head-on, into your loved one's car traveling in the opposite direction.

Oh yeah, that's right...

Quite irrelevant if it's my family member or some random person. Shouldn't allow emotions to motivate feelings toward policy. That's how the anti-gun movement operates.

Could be a crazy woman, could be a deer, could even be a tire. My real question would not be what caused the car to swerve, but why did the operator of the car swerve? Were they not paying attention to not notice the hazard in time? Same with your texting teenager example. Situational awareness goes a long ways. If I'm driving early in the morning, I drive more slowly than I usually do and watch for deer. If I'm in a city area, I'm looking out for pedestrians. People jaywalk all the time but you still have to brake for them. I'm not going to call 911 every time I see someone jaywalking because they technically broke the law. Just use a little common sense and go on with your day.

And while I'm thinking about it, bikers. See them all the time riding on the edge of the highway. It isn't the safest way to get around, especially with cars going 55-60+. But I've never seen a cop stop his vehicle and tell a biker that he/she needs to stop doing that for their own safety. Not much of a difference between walking and riding a bike.

:laser:

............................................................................................................................................. the point

Back
Top Bottom