• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Project - 72 C10

wwboater

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Pimp!
447   0
Reaction score
So about 4 years ago I decided I wanted an old truck. Cause everybody needs a car that is older then their kids, gets 7 miles to the gallon, and breaks down all the time. So I started out with a 1984 Ford pick up. Great truck, little bit of rust and I traded into it for an AK that I was not using.. Well 9 months went by and I decided a 25 year old truck was not good enough so I listed it here on ODT and sold it. Made a little bit of cash and made an ODTers kid happy.

IMG_3719.jpeg
IMG_3717.jpeg

So next I bought a CHEVY. Oh boy was I hooked. 1964 Chevy C10 in Red. Super cool truck, nice body lines, cool stance and all. So that truck had some serious rust that was covered up with bondo and cheap paint. Yeah I did not do good buying this one. Got caught up in the outside appearance and low price. So this truck sat in my garge for about 9 months and then I finally decided I wasn not gonna fix it and so I listed it for sale. Put this one on Facebook Market and actually sold it to a guy from NY and I did not lose any money. Surprised on that one.

IMG_6999.jpeg

Well learned alot with the 64. But I still had the itch for an old truck. So the search continued. Then in August of 21 I found a decent prospect. Ended up buying it and bringing it home. Drove it 40 miles home and it drove like a champ. I finally had my old pick up. A 1972 C10 long bed with a funky blue repaint. but hey it drove and made me feel cool.

65021669589__A3E4ADDD-3843-4618-B7C0-B671F2F09BC4.jpeg
IMG_8624.jpeg
IMG_8652.jpeg

Now this one was cool, hell my kids liked it, my wife thought it was OK, and my dog loved it. I had finally found my truck. But as you all know, we can't leave well enough alone. So I drove it for about 5 months and really enjoyed it, BUT the color kinda sucked and the bed was really long. So over the next year and a half I proceeded to tear my perfectly good truck apart to make it the cool looking short bed that I wanted.

I will post some the the work that was done soon. Thanks for reading.

I have 1 and 3/4 trucks if you want some more. Both 72 models, one short and one long bed. Short bed is a step side bed, big block, runs 12s in the quarter. Long bed is a rolling chassis with a cab.

Jan of 2021 I started the short bed conversion. First I had to strip the bed off of the truck, no easy task when you are trying to unbolt 50 year old rusted up bolts. But I eventually got the bed off and due to all of the rest I decided not to cut the bed down but to just buy a new reproduction short bed.
66432257601__9030F1C9-8294-42D4-9F83-01008D166409.jpeg

Next up was to cut the frame and take 12 inches out from under the cab and 8 inches off the back end. You want to talk about really questioning yourself and your decision, well cutting the frame on your perfectly good dream truck will really make you think twice. Well after rethinking my decision I still went for it and cut it. Once cut I welded the frame back together and then used an 18 inch C channel as a backing plate. The backing plate was botled in with some grade 8 bolts and also welded in. This should be plenty of support to make sure the frame is strong and safe.

First look of the shorter truck, I am getting pretty stoked at this point.

66786615282__A8E3CEFC-EE2E-4AD7-B17A-C539525052FC.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom