• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Property tax, filing an appeal

I wrote this back in 2015. Post #7.

An appeal based on uniformity is the way to go.

PM me if you have any questions or need some additional help.

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/property-value-appeal.906370/#post-4572664

This.

99% of taxpayers don't know about "uniformity" There is probably not a digest in Georgia that can withstand a "uniformity" attack, mostly because even the assessors don't understand it, and will testify that it doesn't apply to them.

Check the record of the Board of Equalizers, some of them are good, most of them are toadies power tripping.

If you go to a hearing, make sure to subpoena as many people in Assessor's office as you want, and ask them to produce as many documents as you feel are necessary, including those related to uniformity.

It's a cliche, but in tax appeals, it's the squeaky wheel that gets the greased, unless you're in Fulton County , then it's the tax commissioner's palm that gets greased.

Follow Jaybird's advice, appeal to Superior Court. You can do it on your own, but the county has to use the county attorney and he ain't working for free. He can bill more than your tax bill by lunch time.

You can ask for a BOE hearing for no charge, other than your time and effort, no lawyer needed at all. Then if you file an appeal of the BOE ruling to Superior Court, the Assessor's office...BY LAW...has to meet with you to attempt a resolution, but you hold all the cards at this point because the Assessor's office doesn't want heat from Superior court, i.e. why the hell are we wasting valuable court time with this guy's property taxes? Do your job and get it off our docket. Pretty strong ally on your side for $20 filing fee. Also, whatever final value you get from the process IT IS LOCKED IN FOR 3 YEARS unless you appeal again next year. So if you get a fair result, you can keep it for 2017, 2018 and 2019. Now if you want to appeal again next year, that "unfreezes" the amount and you are back to square one....it might go up or it might go down.

Can't wait until my wife turns 65, In Gilmer county they well drop the school tax on your property..Many don't know this and it is not in all county's. You have to go down and request it with proof of age. School tax amounts to about 65% of the property tax if I remember right. It is a chunk of coin

I went to the county tax assessors office and complained about an increase a few years ago. The nice lady at the counter took my verbal complaint and some info I had on several recently sold houses comparable to mine and she disappeared for a minute then came back to the counter with it marked down about 25% which ended up being a few hundred less than previous years.

In Cobb the school tax exemption kicks in at 62. Check your county.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just called on a hunch, I was informed that even though my wife wasn't 65 yet, we will still get the exemption next year..That will save $1,300 in school tax, she will not have to pay! Thanks for putting that in my ear to check! It is 65 here but tax already went in for this year..It will reduce the monthly payment..Thanks

Back
Top Bottom