• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Property tax, filing an appeal

Well, I don't really understand/know how it works but for me it changed from '100% Fair Market Value' to '100% Appraised Value' (I think that was the wording, I don't have the notice with me now).

Well, I don't really understand/know how it works but for me it changed from '100% Fair Market Value' to '100% Assessed Value' (I think that was the wording, I don't have the notice with me now).
You do not have some type of homestead exemption? Usually you are taxed on a percentage of the value like 40%.

I have to take a look again, but the end result is that the tax has increased by 42%.
I already had a 30% increase in 2015 or 2014. It's almost twice than what I paid in 2013.

Well, I don't really understand/know how it works but for me it changed from '100% Fair Market Value' to '100% Appraised Value' (I think that was the wording, I don't have the notice with me now).
That might be grounds for starting an appeal as (I recall) the State of Georgia states "FMV". As the old saying goes "Asking" and "Getting" are two different things. The trick is to know what recent sales for comparable properties are in your neighborhood and / or nearby comparable neighborhoods. If the numbers are on your side, then you may want to play out the appeals process to the bitter end. On the other hand, if the value increase yields but a minor change in taxes ... it may be a costly endeavor! It's a rotten deal isn't it?!

OK plan on appealing in my new digs (Elbert Cty) The assessed value is 10k more then what I paid. On a side note they also dnt show the over. 65 exemption. Which I applied for with the homestead exemption . I thought the over65 exemption was state wide. I've never had nor will have kids in public school over 65 drops that tax...My taxes in Forsyth were $400 with it in Elbert they are $1200 on half the value of property... go figure...

Since 2005 and yes, they are.

Being that you've been there for that long, you MIGHT have a little wiggle room. If it was within the fast 5 years it becomes much harder to appeal unless during an economic downturn such as 2008. The newer houses are going to make it hard because they use them as comparables, however there is gray area there. They may be similar in sq footage, lot size, build quality (stick frame, shingle type, foundation, etc.) however if the newer homes they based those off of are up there in price because of additional upgrades and accessory values you don't have you might have some wiggle room.

The inflation and current cost of building comparable homes is hitting everyone including me, my taxes just went up to $4300 and that's in Paulding from $3600 last year and $2800 the year previous. I do know the state caps the assessed % at 40 I believe for your FMV valuation but I would definitely find out about the appraisal vs FMV for your situation. Probably need to talk to someone from the county and get the rundown on how it's done before wasting time and money on a highly probable losing endeavor. Best of luck!

Clark Howard is on AM 750 right now talking about how and why you should appeal property taxes. Apparently complaints are through the roof. Tune in and see what he says. Boring he may be, but he offers good, free advice all the time.

I filed an appeal in Paulding a couple of years ago. What a joke that was. The committee of Paulding County "lackeys" that claim to be impartial mumbled a few things, looked at my comps, ignored them in favor of the tax appraisers comps, and whispered to each other, then spit out a new number.

While lower, it was still miles away from the comps I had and they used all 2 story 4+ bedroom houses with full finished basements as comps for my 3/2 ranch. I asked them how they came to that number and they said "We don't have to tell you."

Appeal...you will get a lower appraisal, but not remotely what you expect.

You are in luck.....I recently served on a Board of Equalization hearing property tax appeals. The bad news is that the boards have "personalities", there are good ones and bad ones. Ones where you can get a fair shake, others where the board members think the taxpayer is "always wrong". And you don't get a choice, its a crap-shoot.

You don't need a lawyer unless you have a multi-million dollar property. The best thing is that while you may not get a "good result" from a BOE hearing, that is not the final word. For $20 you can file an appeal to Superior Court, which doesn't want to mess with these matters and will give you a much more favorable hearing.

By law the County Assessors office has to provide you with the exact comp properties they used to assess your property. This is a big deal, because they tend to "cherry pick" the comps that help make their case. They are limited by the law to some degree in this evaluation, but this is what they do for a living and they know all the wrinkles, the taxpayer does not. Sort of like John Q Public going to court against Harvard trained lawyers....except the folks in the assessors office aren't that smart, they are like you with some experience and training in what they do.

Now there are always those folks that will try to game the system. We saw those cases too. Send me a PM and I can discuss further. God, I hope I don't regret this offer!!

Back
Top Bottom