• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Property tax, filing an appeal

When you file an appeal they usually have you fill out a form with the value you place on your property & reason or facts to come to that conclusion. You get 2 chances to appeal. If on both occasions you disagree with the county assessment &/or fmv. If you don't see eye to eye after the 2 appeals then you head to arbitration.

Go ahead but it won't help, at least not in Dawson County. I had all kinds of comps to prove my value and the 'paid' 'citizen' panel who decides already had their mind made up before I ever opened my mouth or gave then the documentation.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Doe anybody have an idea about the following questions?

• Specify your appeal method (Board of Equalization, Arbitration or Hearing Officer) Note: Additional fees apply when choosing Arbitration and Hearing Officer.
• Specify whether you want to be billed at 85% or 100% while your appeal is being resolved

Also, what are the typical fees?

I filed an appeal , I simply explained that the property had not changed hands or had massive improvements ,. They lowered it back to the previous level.
That is what I would like to do.

I'm pissed that mine is a little higher, but thank GOD I don't live in Fulton!

I am incompatible with that environment anyhow. You could give me a free house in that area and I wouldn't live there.

My house value in Clarke County went up $13,000. I appealed and they said they based the amount on the 10 houses that sold in my neighborhood in 2016 and dropped mine in the middle of the values. I decided not to appeal any further.

There's three parts to the "obvious, hidden, automatic" increase in a county's tax revenue:
1) Lots of new building projects / sales.
2) Inflation's effect on home values.
3) Tax Rate Increases

Politicians LOVE 1&2 ... as they can claim innocence in their effects!

I've always been in favor of a guaranteed FMV evaluation:

The law should read that there is an required "Buy / Sell" for valuations:
If a homeowner protests, then he can demand that the government buy their property for the valuation.
Likewise, if the homeowner protests, the county has the automatic right to buy the property for the valuation.

Then, the Tax Rate become the only variable to be decided. That's where the power of the ballot box comes into play!
Yes, exemptions should be in place based upon Homestead Exemption, Age, and Income. However, these exemptions are based upon the laws passed by the politicians and not by inflation / supply / demand.

Back
Top Bottom