• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Property tax, filing an appeal

Also, a lot of people don't know that you have the absolute right to file a property tax "return". Most counties it has to be filed the first of the year.

You can put down any value you want - you are the owner and you don't have to have a rational basis for the value. But it forces the appraiser to down a full blown appraisal.

The appraisers aren't supposed to use "batch appraisals" but they do - they almost have to. That's where the uniformity issue comes in. A batch appraisal is where they raise every house in a neighborhood by 15% instead of doing actual appraisals. That's why flyspecking their comparables is so important.

This sounds like good news. But I am not sure it has been formalized yet.

http://www.myajc.com/news/local-gov...ty-values-2016-levels/kIp2BTruPElYJoHnSTyehO/

"Property values in Fulton County will be frozen at 2016 levels, Commission Chairman John Eaves said Monday, after attorneys this weekend found an obscure law that gives the commission the ability to change the tax digest.

The move comes after members of the Board of Assessors decided Thursday that they did not have the legal authority to rescind assessments, which jumped dramatically this year.

“It’s good news,” Eaves said. “The law allows us to correct it.”

Eaves said the law was discovered late Friday through research by the county attorney’s office.

Fulton commissioners will vote Wednesday on a proposal, which is still in the works, that would keep residential values at last year’s levels. Eaves said he expects the county will still be able to capture increased values for new construction and home additions in the tax digest. And he said commercial properties will be assessed at 2017 levels.

A spokesperson for the state Department of Revenue said the department has no comment on the plan, or whether the department would challenge it.

The decision comes after weeks of furor over high assessments. Nearly a quarter of the 318,000 residential parcels in Fulton had assessments that were up 50 percent or more; half were up by at least 20 percent. Local governments had pleaded with the Board of Assessors to reduce the values and rescind the assessments."

I have just received the annual notice of assessment for my house.
How difficult/complicated is filing an appeal? Never done it before.
I live in Fulton County, if it makes a difference.

Thanks.
call tax office. the b o e is where u start. board of equalization six county residents appointed by grand jury. three will hear your case. the burden is to prove that your taxes are out of line with other like properties

My personal experience (in another county) is that if you appeal and win, they will come after you every year or two, attempting to wear you down. Eventually they will get a ruling in their favor.

If you file an appeal via the BOE and get some relief, you can keep that value for 3 years; that is state law. Now this is the assessed value, doesn't mean that your taxes won't go up based upon each year's millage value. Your assessed value can also go up, if the county increases all the land values in an area, subdivision, neighborhood, etc.

Again, I have recent experience with this, PM me.

Back
Top Bottom