• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

PSAK-GF3 or WASR? Talk me into one.

Huntfishcamp

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
5   0
Reaction score
Getting ready to pull the proverbial trigger on my first AK. Have about a grand to spend, but don’t want to spend it all on the gun as I’d like to buy a mount, optic, some mags and ammo and keep it all under that level.

That said, I’ve done a fair bit of research on both the Gen3 PSAK and the WASR, and I am genuinely convinced that either would be a great entry-level AK, each withstanding their own subtle advantages and disadvantages.

What I like about the WASR is their proven track record and the chrome-lined barrel. But I do have some concerns as well. The main of which is their history of canted sights and poor customer service/warranty with Century Arms. I do not consider myself a handyman at all when it comes to modifying firearms, and frankly, I want something that I'm not going to have to fidget with out of the box. I don't want something to malfunction down the road and be hung out to fix it on my own.

With the PSA, I feel like they have vastly improved with this Gen 3 AK and the only thing it doesn't have on it's side is history. Yeah it doesn't have the chrome barrel but I think that's debatable. AKOU's torture test sold me on it otherwise. But upon further review there still seem to be some minor issues reported. The beauty of having any issues with the PSA, however, is the full lifetime warranty, I can just ship it back to get fixed. In addition, I can buy the PSA with some nice magpul furniture for about $50 cheaper.

I do feel like I am leaning towards PSA simply due to the warranty. What would you do?

Easy.

Don’t buy an American AK

Buy an Import AK

WASR wins. It’s a no brainer

WASR needs no warranty when they’re regularly running 100,000 + rounds at Battlefield vegas before any receiver issues and bbls are lasting 200k plus

Look up battlefield Vegas full auto range AK longevity and learn how the WASR is king.

Another interesting fact BFV has actually never broken an import milled AK as of now

But they don’t even % with American made AKs anymore because the issues aren’t worth their time, and they crush Npaps regularly

P.S. out of the past 12 WASRs that have come through my hands not one has had canted sights. I haven’t seen canted sights on a WASR in a longggg time, specifically with their past 3 year imports.

I have seen Arsenal’s with canted sights lately, got a guy on here getting his straightened out right now with a local gunsmith because couldn’t hit paper at 50 it was so badly canted. And he’s not the only one. Canted sights happen, they aren’t the end of the world, however they haven’t been happening on WASR imports for awhile as far as I’ve seen

And ALWAYS give me that combloc CHF chromed Barrel over any American made AKM barrel. Always.

IF you are going to choose between the PSA and a WASR I would go PSA all the way. Robski couldn't break it, well just the firing pin retainer pin, which he shoved a tooth pick in and kept on trucking. You probably wont shoot enough to have to worry about a chrome lined barrel, I know I wont. And this is the FIRST American made AK that has passed his test.

I know a lot of people here like WASR's but the truth is that all the "good" AK's have gotten either too rare, or too expensive, so we are all now thinking Wasr's are ok. They are ok at $300, but above that...I wouldn't. WASR's have a long and somewhat shady history of "Pre-ban, post ban" guns, so you aren't sure which one you have. The Ban guns contained mostly US parts including the Bolt (bad), and the single stack magazine conversions are less than desirable. One article I read said that Century did the conversion "in the dark, with a dremel, while they were drunk." Even the post ban ones are the loosest AK you will find. Not the worst thing, but a sloppy action isn't helping the AK in the accuracy department.

If I had a grand to spend, you can afford something nicer than a WASR or PSA. I would keep my eyes open for a Yugo, just ask @sovietak474u, or a Norinco, or a Saiga.

My 2cents

Robski uses a WASR in his classss as his backup gun because he’s + 10,000 rounds on it, literally HE says it’s king lol. He also explains why the hatred and myths still exist to this day.

This is the forum where battfield Vegas gunsmiths break down REAL round counts, not hearsay, on various AKs they run only in full auto, to the tune of 10-30,000 rounds a month. They’re the largest full auto range in America

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/06/03/how-many-rounds-can-an-ak-fire-before-it-breaks-down/

WASRs are all over the place for 600-650 how much is a PSA again?

76DEE0E5-CE50-4CC5-A4D4-72A135594186.jpeg

Truthfully though I love the WASR myth and lore of being garbage. Keeps the prices lower, keeps trades coming in, and it’s the best kept secret in the AK world. IMHO

Maks are great AKMs too
Veprs and FIMEs and Arsenal’s all great AKMs. Import AMDs and SA2000s all good stuff
Buldged trunnion Yugos are solid

If I was only going to have one fighting AK on a budget, it would have to be a WASR. They aren't pretty but damn do they work. Now for an American AK on a budget, the PSAK is head and shoulders above anything under $1k and I believe all 3 gens have passed Rob Skis 5k round torture test (something some import AKs, DDI, and Daniel Defense have failed). The nitride finish on the PSAK is nicer than the standard phosphate but WASR hammer forged barrel is superior, either will serve you well.

Something to consider is that a new WASR or PSAK is $600-700 depending on options. For only a little bit more you can pickup an Arsenal SLR107 or a similar model, and that's worth the upgrade imo. MAK90s are also a good choice.

My favorite AK at the moment is either a braced Romanian Draco or a WASR 10/63, but if I found a good deal on a PSAK I wouldn't hesitate.

Back
Top Bottom