• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question about Brass

BCPerry

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
24   0
Reaction score
So, since I'm new to reloading, I have a question, go figure right!

So, today I was on the range re-qualifying for my agency. When we were all done, I asked our range master if there would be a problem with me picking up brass as I was now into reloading. He told me to get all I wanted. While picking up the brass, another deputy came by and asked if I was going to "try" and reload the silver brass too. I said said yeah and kept going. While on the way home his questioned lingered in my mind.

So my question is, Is there a difference in the brass colored cases and the silver cases? It's all Winchester. We buy bulk ammo for training and when we shoot it, some of it is the normal "yellow" brass color and some is "silver" colored. They are even mixed in the boxes sometimes. I never thought about it until now since I'm starting to reload.

If there is a difference, other than the obvious, have I wasted my time picking it up? Or am I thinking to much and I just need to move along and use it? Thanks again guys.

The silver brass is Nickel Plated it will load just fine, just watch out for CCI blazer ammo some of it has aluminum cased ammo/ that is not to be reloaded.. Nickel brass is stiffer to work with some like it some don't, Stay away from brass that has a varnish or lacquer coating = steel cases

I highly doubt its steel. You should be good to go. Only real drawback to nickel brass is it "Might" not last as long as regular brass from what im told. Having said that, Nickel is ALL I use for my 10mm loads (easier to find on range floor after shooting) and it holds up JUST FINE. And I load HOT 10mm loads.

I have heard that nickel plated might "scratch" your dies more easily but I havent seen that happen at all with mine.

image.jpg
Don't reload cases that look like these.

The darn nickle cases I have loaded seem to want to split at the case mouth. It seems to be a little more tedious but you can load em.
Just be ready for a few more rejects.

The aluminum casings should not be reloaded, they look and feel very different. They will look dull and the nickel will shine like the brass ones do.

Back
Top Bottom