• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question for LEOs and advocates

Is that cop an asshole cause he gave you a ticket.?

No he was an asshole because he was being an asshole. I am perfectly capable of knowing the difference in nice and rude. Plus if I do wrong I will admit it, I was legitimately doing maybe 35 mph, he ticketed me for 60 and was rude about it, I was respectful therefore he was an asshole.

If you drive around hunting a problem you eventually find it. Broke clock is right twice a day.

Difference is you probably don't have a video camera running just to eventually have a dust up. What about the dozens of stops that were fruitless, or LEO conducted themselves as professional versed on the laws? Heck, no... Lets plaster this red herring that's not the norm.

Case in point. I had a guy back in 04-05 that was walking down Ga3 (Hwy 41) carrying an SKS and open carrying a revolver. It was hot as hades, so I rolled up behind him and asked him could I speak with him. Asked if he would like a ride (gave me a reason to talk) and at no time detain him. Guy had broke down, and was afraid to leave the rifle in the vehicle while he walked to a friends house. Was I intrusive? Slightly... Asked him where he was heading and why the rifle. Got a reasonable answer, and he got a free ride with A/C.

I guess that is the thing. I am not an outlaw by nature, but I do believe in my rights.

You can't. Advocates will always consider anyone who tries to stand up to the law an idiot, or douchebag. My problem with cops is which of them do you trust? I have seen with my own eyes, cops off duty at clubs rolling on X, smoking pot, taking bribes from bars, drinking and driving, and blocking roads off of Fulton Industrial for drag racing. I've seen so many bad ones I just don't trust any of them, except for a few of them I know personally are good.

Hope you've made calls to the proper departments to report this activity. Would hate to think you witnessed this and someone was hurt or killed by one of these idiots.

To the OP
Would it be unreasonable to submit to the officer to disarm and then file a complaint to the department? 98% of the time you're dealing with an officer who is not looking to violate your rights. Depends on the officers intentions.

Have you reported their alleged activity to their Infernal Repairs? (Internal Affairs)

What good would it do? Seriously. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I really want to know if it would even be taken seriously because I don't believe it would. Maybe the guys smoking the pot because they could be drug tested, everything else would be my word against a cops, and we all know how that usually works out.

I guess that is the thing. I am not an outlaw by nature, but I do believe in my rights.

And the ability to be firm, yet professional works with people who don't feel they have to make a point. Shortly after leaving law enforcement I got stopped in TN for a headlight out.

First question from the little municipal officer was where was I heading. I handed over license, insurance, and registration. He asked again... I replied Georgia. It went awkward for a while, he probed outside the scope of his stop, and I politely pointed it out. Asked for my citation, and refused his request for consent to search. Quoted a few case laws, invited him to produce a dog, and supervisor (since he brought it up) and when all said and done drove off with a warning and went straight to an Advance Auto at the next exit.

What good would it do? Seriously. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I really want to know if it would even be taken seriously because I don't believe it would. Maybe the guys smoking the pot because they could be drug tested, everything else would be my word against a cops, and we all know how that usually works out.

Eh... I had EVERY BS complaint lodged against me investigated. If you aren't willing to do the process to fix things, why complain? IA is there for the citizens, not the officer.

No he was an asshole because he was being an asshole. I am perfectly capable of knowing the difference in nice and rude. Plus if I do wrong I will admit it, I was legitimately doing maybe 35 mph, he ticketed me for 60 and was rude about it, I was respectful therefore he was an asshole.

My main issue with this is it sounds like you are putting all cops in this same category. I was never a officer but I worked close with many police officers and deputy sheriffs and most of them I had the privilege to work with were awesome people. Honestly if you have a problem with the way they work join the force and treat people differently then the way they have treated you work your way up the ranks and change policy if you really hate it so much

And the ability to be firm, yet professional works with people who don't feel they have to make a point. Shortly after leaving law enforcement I got stopped in TN for a headlight out.

First question from the little municipal officer was where was I heading. I handed over license, insurance, and registration. He asked again... I replied Georgia. It went awkward for a while, he probed outside the scope of his stop, and I politely pointed it out. Asked for my citation, and refused his request for consent to search. Quoted a few case laws, invited him to produce a dog, and supervisor (since he brought it up) and when all said and done drove off with a warning and went straight to an Advance Auto at the next exit.

That is the line so hard to walk. By nature, I want to comply because I was raised right and the police man is the good guy. I also understand our conversation has larger repercussions.

Eh... I had EVERY BS complaint lodged against me investigated. If you aren't willing to do the process to fix things, why complain? IA is there for the citizens, not the officer.

I'm not really complaining, crooked people are everywhere, my point was, hanging out in the places I've hung out, and seeing the things I've seen, I just honestly don't know which ones to trust, kinda like women, If I don't personally know them, I don't fully trust em, so I keep my guard up. Not a dig at all cops, just a personal feeling i have in general. I'm sure most of them are good, till I meet them, I don't know that.

I am all for getting the bad cops off the streets next time you see it record it but IA will investigate the claim

Back
Top Bottom